Polity & Governance
India & World
Defence & Security
Reports & Indices
Keith Rowley becomes PM of Trinidad and Tobago for 2nd consecutive term
- The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago Capital: Port of Spain.
- The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago Currency: Trinidad and Tobago dollar.
- The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago President: Paula-Mae Weekes.
Francisco Asue reappointed as PM of Equatorial Guinea
- Republic of Equatorial Guinea President: Teodoro Obiang.
- Republic of Equatorial Guinea Capital: Malabo.
- Republic of Equatorial Guinea Currency: Central African CFA franc.
SBI MF appoints Vinay Tonse as MD & CEO
- SBI Funds Management said it has appointed Vinay M Tonse as MD & CEO, replacing Ashwani Bhatia who returned to parent State Bank of India NSE 4.27 % (SBI) as its Managing Director.
- Tonse joined SBI as a Probationary Officer in 1988 and has worked across different locations in India and abroad. Over his tenure of 32 years with the State Bank of India, he has traversed through various functions and assignments possessing rich experience in several facets of commercial banking such as corporate credit, treasury, retail and international banking.
- SBI Mutual Fund Founded: June 1987.
- SBI Mutual Fund Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Luis Rodolfo Abinader sworn in as Dominican Republic president
Luis Rodolfo Abinader has been sworn in as president of the Dominican Republic following his election win .
The 53-year-old businessman, who had never held elected office, won a four-year term on July 5, ending a 16-year run in power by a centre-left party.
- Dominican Republic Capital: Santo Domingo.
- Dominican Republic Currency: Dominican Peso.
Satya Pal Malik appointed as Governor of Meghalaya
- Meghalaya National Park: Balphakram National Park, Nokrek National Park.
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya: Conrad Kongkal Sangma.
Rohit Sharma appointed Oakley’s brand ambassador in India
- Performance sports eyewear brand Oakley announced the appointment of cricketer Rohit Sharma as its new brand ambassador for a period of two years in India.
- As a part of the partnership, Sharma will be sporting Oakley eyewear equipped with patented Prizm technology created specifically for sports.
Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa resigned
- Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa resigned to take up the position of vice-president at Asian Development Bank next month.
- Chief Election Commissioner of India: Sunil Arora.
- President of Asian Development Bank: Masatsugu Asakawa.
GoAir appoints Kaushik Khona as new CEO, to replace Vinay Dube
GoAir said it has appointed Kaushik Khona as its chief executive officer (CEO).”The Nominations & Remuneration Committee and the Board met and have appointed Kaushik Khona as CEO with immediate effect,” GoAir said
Khona will replace industry veteran Vinay Dube who took charge as CEO in February.
- GoAir Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- GoAir Founder: Jehangir Wadia.
- GoAir Established: 2005.
ebikeGo appoints Harbhajan Singh as brand ambassador
- Amritsar based e-mobility start-up eBikeGO on Tuesday announced the appointment of Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh as its brand ambassador.
- The cricketer has come on board for one year to help promote the company as it looks to scale-up by increasing geographical footprint, adding new customer segments, and targeting new business use cases to widen the appeal for electric mobility.
MS Dhoni retires from all international cricket
Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who led his side to victory in three global ICC tournaments, has announced his retirement from international cricket.
The announcement on Saturday, 15 August, was in typical Dhoni style, understated and unexpected. “Thanks a lot for your support throughout. From 1929 hrs consider me as Retired”, he said in a post on Instagram, which was accompanied by a slideshow of his career in images.
Suresh Raina follows Dhoni into retirement
India international Suresh Raina has announced his retirement from international cricket. He announced his decision soon after MS Dhoni called it quits.
Dominant Hamilton eases to fifth Spanish GP win as Verstappen splits Mercedes
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton executed a near-perfect race at the Spanish Grand Prix, leading every lap from pole to record his fifth Spanish Grand Prix win, and his fourth victory of the season, with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen coming home ahead of the sister Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas.
Former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing
- Mortgage player Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBH) said former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra has been appointed as its non-executive chairman with immediate effect.
- Mundra had joined the board of IBH in 2018 as an independent director.
- The company said its executive chairman Sameer Gehlaut has taken up the position of chief executive officer of another listed firm promoted by him — Indiabulls Ventures Ltd.
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd Headquarters: Gurugram.
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd Founded: 2005.
Pramod Bhasin appointed as new Chairman of ICRIER
Pramod Bhasin, vice-chair of the board of governors at ICRIER, has been appointed as a new Chairman of the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER). Bhasin will replace Isher Judge Ahluwalia, who has stepped down due to health reasons. Isher had been in this position for 15 years. She will continue as chairperson emeritus, a position specially created to honor her exceptional contributions to the Council.
- Director & Chief Executive of ICRIER: Dr Rajat Kathuria.
- Headquarters of ICRIER: New Delhi.
PESB picks Soma Mondal as the next chairman of Steel Authority of India
Soma Mondal has been selected by the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) as the next chairman of public sector steel major Steel Authority of India Limited NSE 0.61 %. She is currently Director (Commercial) of SAIL.
- SAIL Headquarters: New Delhi.
- SAIL founded: 19 January 1954.
Capital India Finance names Dr Harsh Kumar Bhanwala as Executive Chairman
- Capital India Finance Limited has appointed Dr Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, former Chairman, NABARD and an Industry Veteran, as the Executive Chairman, to the board with effect from August 6, 2020.
- SK Narvar, Promoter, Capital India Finance Limited said,” We are extremely pleased to have Dr. Bhanwala on board with us as Executive Chairman and extend our warmest regards and good wishes on behalf of the entire team at Capital India Finance Ltd (CIFL).
- Capital India Finance Ltd Managing Director: Keshav Porwal.
- Capital India Finance Ltd HeadOffice: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
KN Ananthapadmanabhan Promoted To ICC’s International Panel Of Umpires
Former Kerala leg-spinner KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been promoted to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) international panel of umpires. Ananthapadmanabhan will be the fourth Indian umpire on the international panel and fills the vacancy created by Nitin Menon’s move to the ICC Elite Panel, ESPNcricinfo reported.
The other three Indians on the international panel are C Shamshuddin, Anil Chaudhary and Virender Sharma.
- CEO of ICC: Manu Sawhney.
- Headquarters of ICC: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Chairman of ICC: Imran Khwaja (Interim).
Walter Martos sworn in as new Prime Minister of Peru
Walter Roger Martos Ruiz was sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Peru to replace Pedro Cateriano.
The swearing-in ceremony took place at the Government Palace in Lima.
Led by Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra, the act sees the presence of members of the outgoing Cabinet.
- Peru Capital: Lima.
- Peru Currency: Peruvian Sol.
PNB Housing Finance appoints ex-SBI Card head Hardayal Prasad as new MD and CEO
PNB Housing Finance announced that Hardayal Prasad, the former SBI Card head who left the card issuer company last month, has been appointed as its new MD and CEO.
- PNB Housing Finance Head Office: New Delhi.
- PNB Housing Finance Tag Line: Ghar Ki Baat.
Mauritania president appoints new PM after previous gov’t resigns
Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani has appointed veteran public administrator Mohamed Ould Bilal as prime minister, hours after the previous government resigned amid an investigation into alleged high-level corruption.
- Capital of Mauritania: Nouakchott.
- Currency of Mauritania: Mauritanian ouguiya.
Alexander Lukashenko, ‘Europe’s last dictator,’ wins sixth term in Belarus election
Election officials in Belarus that President Alexander Lukashenko — often referred to as “Europe’s last dictator” — had won his sixth consecutive term, taking more than 80% of the vote amid protests fueled by frustration with the country’s deteriorating economy, years of political repression and the authoritarian incumbent’s cavalier brushoff of the coronavirus threat.
- Capital of Belarus: Minsk.
- Currency of Belarus: Belarusian Rouble.
Sri Lanka: Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as prime minister for fourth time
- Mahinda Rajapaksa was on Sunday sworn in as the prime minister of Sri Lanka for the fourth time, three days after his party declared a victory in the country’s 2020 General Elections.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa took oath before Sri Lankan President and his younger brother Gotabaya Rajapaksa at the Kelaniya Raja Maha Buddhist temple outside Colombo.
- President of Sri Lanka: Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
- Capital of Sri Lanka: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte.
- The currency of Sri Lanka: Sri Lankan rupee.
Ashwani Bhatia appointed as managing director of State Bank of India
- The central government has appointed Ashwani Bhatia as the managing director (MD) of the State Bank of India (SBI).
- Bhatia has been appointed as the managing director up to the date of his superannuation that is May 31, 2022, the order stated.
- Bhatia is currently working as the managing director and chief executive officer at SBI Mutual Fund.
- Chairman of State Bank of India: Rajnish Kumar.
- Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 July 1955.
Rakesh Asthana appointed BSF DG, V S K Kaumudi Special Secretary (Internal Security)
Gujarat cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana has been appointed as the chief of the Border Security Force (BSF) and V S K Kaumudi will be Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Home Ministry, according to a Personnel Ministry order issued . Asthana is at present working as the Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) here.
- BSF formed: 1 December 1965;
- BSF Headquarters: New Delhi.
Sebi appoints G P Garg as Executive Director
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) said it has appointed G P Garg as executive director (ED).
- Prior to his promotion as ED, Garg was Chief General Manager in Sebi and has handled several assignments since joining in January 1994. He has been closely associated with Sebi’s initiatives on financial literacy and investor education in the country.
- Chairman of SEBI: Ajay Tyagi;
- Headquarter: Mumbai.
Retired bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar appointed as new Election Commissioner
- Retired bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar was appointed the election commissioner in place of Ashok Lavasa, who has resigned.
- President Ram Nath Kovind cleared Kumar’s appointment with effect from the date of his assuming office. Kumar’s appointment is in place of Lavasa, who resigned with effect from August 31.
RBI okays Sashidhar Jagdishan as Aditya Puri’s successor at HDFC Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has approved the appointment of Sashidhar Jagdishan as the next managing director of HDFC Bank NSE 0.22 %, succeeding veteran Aditya Puri. A letter to this effect has been sent to BSE by the bank.
- Headquarters of HDFC Bank: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The tagline of HDFC Bank: We Understand Your World.
Ajay Tyagi gets 18 months’ extension as SEBI chairman
- Ajay Tyagi was given an 18-month extension, till February 2022, as the chairman of markets regulator SEBI, according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved extension of Tyagi’s term for 18 months, with effect from September 1 2020 up to February 28, 2020.
Former union minister Manoj Sinha to be new L-G of Jammu & Kashmir
- Former union minister and senior BJP leader from Uttar Pradesh, Manoj Sinha appointed as Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, the Rashtrapati Bhawan spokesman said.
- A communique issued by the President’s secretariat said that the resignation of Girish Chandra Murmu as Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir has been accepted.
GC Murmu Who Faced Heat Over Polls, 4G, Resigns As J&K Lt Governor
GC Murmu, the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu Kashmir, is the front-runner for the post of the country’s new auditor. Mr Murmu resigned from his post in Jammu and Kashmir and Manoj Sinha has been appointed as his successor, said a statement from President Ram Nath Kovind’s office.