Defence & Security
- MEA (Ministry Of External Affairs): Annual summit in India between 15-17 December.
- The summit is usually held alternatively in India and in Japan.
- 30 November: first “2+2″ meet
- Agreed: scale up their defence cooperation.
- Next year: first joint fighter jet exercise.
- Capital -Tokyo
- National language-Japanese
- Maldives’ Parliament speaker Mohamed Nasheed met Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
- Nasheed conveyed that his country is keen to disentangle from China’s debt trap.
- Maldives is undertaking an assessment of assets created through debt funding from China.
- China’s funding is costly and Maldives is keen to know the extent of actual investment flows from China into his country.
- Nasheed also said that the previous government of his country, unfortunately, did not get along well with India.
- New Delhi could help the people of his country, who are hungry for constitutional democracy.
- Both the countries have similar views on the serious issue of climate change.
- President -Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
- Currency-Maldivian rufiyaa (MVR)
Boris Johnson- Election Victory
- Boris Johnson led Britain’s Conservative Party to a thumping election victory.
- This will clear the way for the country to leave the European Union by January 31, 2020.
- It will also be a beginning of potentially demanding trade deal negotiations the UK has to undertake with major economies, India possibly included.
- The US has provided a rare exemption to India from sanctions on the Chabahar port in Iran.
- USA recognisesChabahar a lifeline for war-torn Afghanistan to get humanitarian supplies from India.
- The Chabahar port — being jointly developed by India, Iran and Afghanistan — is considered a gateway to golden opportunities for trade by the three countries with central Asian nations.
Rohtang Tunnel In Himachal Pradesh Named As Atal Tunnel
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi named Rohtang passageway in Himachal Pradesh as Atal Tunnel to mark the 95th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Prime Minister said the strategic Atal tunnel will change the fortunes of this region and will help in promoting tourism in the region.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said, after completion of the tunnel, it will provide all weather connectivity to remote areas of Lahaul and Spiti Valley and also reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 Kilometres.
- Himachal Pradesh CM: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: BandaruDattatraya.