Defence & Security
- Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, was appointed CEO of parent company Alphabet.
- Satya Nadella: Microsoft (world’s 2nd most valuable company)
- Sundar Pichai: Alphabet (world’s 3rd most valuable company)
- Pichai’s new role will also be a testing one, with Google’s many commercial and data practices under scrutiny in multiple geographies and with recent controversies over proposed entry to China yet to die down.
- Former PM AbdelmadjidTebboune Elected As The President Of Algeria
- Tebboune – who also served as housing minister under Abdelaziz Bouteflika – the former president forced to step down in April following mass protests.
- Algeria Capital: Algiers
- Algeria Prime Minister: NoureddineBedouia.
- Algeria Currency: Dinar.
- China Digital Currency
- China plans to launch its own digital currency.
Aim: to stay ahead of the global competition
- China’s central bank – the People’s Bank of China (PBC) – has stepped up efforts to roll out its Digital Currency Electronic Payment (DCEP).
- By launching a digital currency earlier than other countries, the PBC will be able to set rules related to currency’s cross-border clearing and payment system.
- In 2020, digital currency competition will heat up not only among central banks and governments but also multi-nationals like Facebook and large cross-border financial institutions.
- Currency: Renminbi
- Vice President: Wang Qishan
- Party General Secretary and President: Xi Jinping
Trump Approves US-China Trade Deal To Halt Dec 15 Tariffs
- President Donald Trump signed off on a phase-one trade deal with China.
- Introduction of a new wave of US tariffs on about $160 billion of consumer goods from the Asian nation.
- The deal presented to Trump by trade advisers included a promise by the Chinese to buy more US agricultural goods.