Defence & Security
Human Development Index
- 2019 Human Development Index by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- India inched up one spot to rank 129th out of 189 countries.
- Inequality and deprivation continue to be high in India.
- India’s development initiatives are crucial in ensuring that we meet our promise to leave no one behind.
- India managed to lift 27.1 crore people out of poverty from 2005-06 to 2015-16
- The steady progress was due to nearly three decades of rapid development, which had seen a dramatic reduction in absolute poverty, along with gains in life expectancy, education, and access to health care.
- South Asia was the fastest growing region witnessing 46% growth during 1990-2018, followed by East Asia and the Pacific at 43%.
Global Gender Gap Index 2020
- 2020: 112th India slips 4 ranks.
- World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Index 2020 covers 153 economies.
- It will take nearly 100 years to close the gender gap across politics, economic, health and education.
- India has closed two-thirds of its overall gender gap (score of 66.8%).
- The condition of women in large fringes of India’s society is precarious.
- Some countries ranked lower than India have improved more.
- Among the 153 countries studied, India is the only country where the economic gender gap is larger than the political gender gap.