Polity & Governance
Ajay Singh re-elected as President of Boxing Federation of India
- Ajay Singh has been re-elected as President of the Boxing Federation of India after defeating former Maharashtra sports minister Ashish Shelar in the polls.
- Singh received 37 votes while Shelar, who has held many top positions in sport, including the role of President of Maharashtra Cricket Association and Mumbai District Football Association, got 27 votes in the BFI elections.
- Tokyo Olympics-bound Indian Boxer Amit Panghal said the experience of Singh will help India win medals in the upcoming games.
NASA appoints Indian-American scientist Bhavya Lal as acting chief of staff
- NASA said Lal brings extensive experience in engineering and space technology, serving as a member of the research staff at the Institute for Defence Analyses Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI) from 2005 to 2020.
- There, she led analysis of space technology, strategy, and policy for the White House office of science and technology policy and national space council, as well as federal space-oriented organisations, including NASA, the department of defence, and the intelligence community.
Dr Ajay Mathur elected new Director General at special assembly of International Solar Alliance
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) announces Dr. Ajay Mathur as its new Director General following his election at the first special assembly of ISA members.
- A coalition of 73 member countries, ISA was established at the end of 2015 to accelerate the demand for and use of safe, sustainable, and affordable solar energy for all. It aims to mobilize over $1 trillion USD of investment into solar projects by 2030 through focused advocacy, policy and regulatory support, capacity building, and by overcoming perceived investment barriers.
- Mathur replaces Mr. Upendra Tripathy, who has served as Director General since the ISA was founded in 2015
- International Solar Alliance Headquarters: Gurugram.
- International Solar Alliance Founded: 30 November 2015.
- International Solar AllianceFounded: Paris, France.
Indian-origin Preeti Sinha to lead UN Capital Development Fund
- The UN Capital Development Fund has appointed Indian-origin investment and development banker Preeti Sinha as its Executive Secretary, whose focus will be on providing microfinance assistance to women, youth, small and medium-sized enterprises in under-served communities.
- Sinha commenced her tenure as UNCDF Executive Secretary, the highest leadership rank in the institution.
Nigerian economist set to become first female chief of WTO
- Nigerian economist Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala became the first woman and first African to be appointed as the head of the World Trade Organization.
- The appointment, which takes effect from March 1, came after U.S. President Joe Biden endorsed her candidacy. Okonjo-Iweala has been Nigeria’s finance minister and, briefly, foreign minister, and has had a 25-year career at the World Bank as an advocate for economic growth and development in poorer countries
- World Trade Organization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Trade Organization Founded: 1 January 1995.
Mario Draghi sworn in as Italy’s new prime minister
- The ex-head of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi, has been sworn-in as Italy’s next prime minister.
- Mr Draghi put together a unity government of the main political parties, following the collapse of the previous administration last month.
- It was thrown into chaos amid a row over how to spend EU coronavirus recovery funds.
- Italy is still grappling with the pandemic and is also facing its worst economic crisis in decades.
- President of Italy: Sergio Mattarella.
- Capital of Italy: Rome; Currency of Italy: Euro.