Polity & Governance
Kerala’s first human milk bank to be opened on 5 February
- Kerala’s first Human Milk Bank (HMB), a state-of-art facility will be opened at the Ernakulam general hospital here by Health Minister KK Shailaja. Set up with the support of the Rotary Club of Cochin Global, the milk bank is to ensure breast milk for newborn babies, who are not being breastfed by their own mothers who may be sick, deceased or due to insufficient production of breast milk, in the hospital.
- Though the concept had come to India 32 years back, Kerala did not have a milk bank till now
- Kerala CM: Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Kerala Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan.
Ayesha Aziz becomes India’s Youngest Female Pilot at 25
- Ayesha Aziz, the 25-year-old from Kashmir who is the youngest female pilot in the country, acts as a source of inspiration and a beacon of empowerment for numerous Kashmiri women.
- In the year 2011, Aziz became the youngest student pilot to get a license at the age of 15 and underwent training to fly a MIG-29 jet at Russia’s Sokol airbase the following year.
- Ayesha Aziz became the youngest student pilot to get a license at the age of 15 and underwent training to fly a MIG-29 jet at Russia’s Sokol airbase the following year.
Bengaluru airport bags ‘Voice of the Customer’ global recognition
- The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has secured global recognition from the Airports Council International World’s ‘Voice of the Customer’ award.
- The ‘Voice of the Customer’ initiative by the Airports Council International World recognises airports that continued to prioritise their customers and remained committed to ensuring that their voice was heard during the novel coronavirus pandemic in 2020.
NIIF Fund of Funds raises $100 million
- The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) said that the New Development Bank (NDB) has committed to invest $100 million into the NIIF Fund of Funds (FoF), which invests in Indian private capital funds.
- With NDB’s investment, the FoF has secured $800 million in commitments, NIIF said in a statement. NDB joins the Government of India, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and Asian Development Bank as an investor in the FoF.
- NIIF Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Sujoy Bose.
- NIIF Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- New Development Bank Chairperson of the Board of Governors: Anton Siluanov (Russia).
- New Development Bank Headquarters: Shanghai, China.
Madhya Pradesh: Mandu festival starts at Mandu in Dhar
- In Madhya Pradesh, the three-day Mandu Festival began at Mandu in the historic town of Dhar district. AIR Correspondent reports that state culture and tourism minister Usha Thakur inaugurated the mandu festival.
- Handicrafts related to handmade art are also being displayed in the Mandu Utsav to encourage vocals for locals. Dino Adventure Park & Fossils Museum also inaugurated by the state culture and tourism minister.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Shivraj Singh Chouhan; Governor: Anandiben Patel.
Maharashtra govt signs MoU with Flipkart to promote wooden toys, local artifacts, handicrafts
- In order to promote wooden toys, local artifacts, handicrafts Maharashtra Small Industries Development Corporation and Maharashtra State Khadi & Village Industries Board have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Flipkart.
- State Minister for industries Subhash Desai said, this MoU will enable artisans, weavers, craftsmen & MSMEs from Maharashtra to showcase their products to millions of customers in India. Flipkart will provide free training for packaging and branding to all these manufacturers. Also, product photography will also be done by the company.
- Maharashtra Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Maharashtra Capital: Mumbai.
- Maharashtra CM: Uddhav Thackeray.
ISRO, MapmyIndia partner up to compete with Google Maps
- The ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) and MapmyIndia, announced an initiative to partner together to offer a fully indigenous, mapping portal and geospatial services. The new collaboration will use MapmyIndia’s digital maps and technologies with ISRO’s catalogue of satellite imagery and earth observation data.
- MapmyIndia said there are multiple benefits of an Indian solution for maps and geospatial services.
- ISRO is more responsive to the satellite imagery needs of Indians, especially during times of crises and disaster.
- ISRO Chairman: K.Sivan.
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- ISRO established: 15 August 1969.
Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Atal Paryavaran Bhavan
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the Atal Paryavaran Bhavan at Lakshadweep. He said that Lakshadweep will undergo a comprehensive development, without compromising its commitment to nature. He reached Kavaratti in Lakshadweep morning on a four day official visit.
- He attended high level meetings with Secretaries of various departments in Lakshadweep administration.
- Lakshadweep Capital: Kavaratti.
- Lakshadweep Administrator: Praful Patel.
47th Khajuraho Dance Festival begins
- The week-long 47th Khajuraho Dance Festival began in the evening in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh which is based on the Indian classical dance tradition.
- On the first day, along with dance performances, tourists also took part in e-bike tours from west group of temples to eastern group temples, village tour of Old Khajuraho and many more.
- The first day event is dedicated to Bharatanatyam performance by Geeta Chandran and her troupe and Kathak performance by Deepak Maharaj.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Shivraj Singh Chouhan; Governor: Anandiben Pate
West Bengal: Forest Department conducts water birds census for 1st time
- The study was conducted from 12th of January to 2nd of February in 54 different locations across the state.
- More than 800 persons including Forest staff, NGOs and Bird lovers were involved in this exercise.
- Birdwatchers and nature lovers from across the world come here on a regular basis.
- The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) Vinay Kumar Yadav said that 65 species have been found so far.
Asia’s biggest show Aero India to conclude in Bengaluru
- Aero India, Asia’s biggest show will conclude in Bengaluru with President Ramnath Kovind gracing the valedictory programme.
- The concluding day will also have a Bandhan Ceremony where over 200 MoUs will be signed for the promotion of defence production within the country.
- Seminars on defence industrial corridors in UP and Telangana and opportunities for aerospace industries in Karnataka will be held.
- The 3rd day of the show will also have air display by Indian and foreign fighter aircraft.
Bangladesh Film Festival opens in Kolkata
- Information Minister of Bangladesh Dr. Hasan Mahmud inaugurated the festival as Chief Guest. Minister for Science and Technology, govt of West Bengal Bratya Basu and Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla joined the festival as the guest of honour.
- The 5-day long Festival will be showcasing 32 Bangladeshi feature films.
- Film on the life of Prime Minister of Bangladesh ‘Hasina-A Daughter’s Tale’ was the inaugural film of the festival.
- The film is based on the life of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh.
First Tibetan Village Dungti Near LAC in Ladakh gets electricity by GHE
- In eastern Ladakh, on the Line of Actual Control bordering India and China the lesser-known Tibetan village of Dungti is electrified now.
- In 1962, Tibetans families migrated to Ladakh and settled in Dungri to form a TR (Tibetan refuge) village of Ladakh. These Tibetans are pashmina herders, and their only livelihood is through selling fine quality Pashmina to the market.
- The villagers have also been guarding the Indian border for decades from any foreign incursions.