Polity & Governance
Joe Root becomes the first batsman to score 200 in 100th Test
- England captain Joe Root smashed his fifth double hundred on Day 2 of the first Test against India in Chennai.
- Following his knock, Joe Root became the first batsman to score a double hundred in his 100th Test.
Assam government appoints sprinter Hima Das as DSP
- Star sprinter Hima Das, who is currently looking to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, has been appointed as a Deputy Superintendent of Police by the Assam government.
- Hima Das is currently training at the NIS-Patiala as she aims to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.
- Hima thanked Assam Chief Minister and former Union Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal for the job, saying it will motivate her.
Manika Batra wins national title, eyes Tokyo Olympic spot via Doha
- Manika Batra was all smiles as she waved to her coach Sanmay Pranjape and her Belarussian sparring partner Kiryl Barabanov. She had just beaten Reeth Rishya 8-11, 10-12, 11-1, 11-9, 11-5, 11-6 at the Tau Devi Lal Sports Complex in Panchkula to win the 82nd Senior National Table Tennis Championship. But there wasn’t much time for the 25-year-old to spare after the match
- India’s top paddler Manika Batra returned to competitive table tennis for the first time since the pandemic. A win at the national championships gives her a boost, as she prepares to compete for a Tokyo Olympics quota.
PM Modi delivers inaugural address at 2nd edition of Khelo India National Winter Games-2021
- Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi delivered the inaugural address at the 2nd edition of Khelo India National Winter Games-2021 through virtual mode.
- Lieutenant Governor Sh. Manoj Sinha and Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Kiren Rijiju also addressed the huge gathering during the inaugural ceremony of the mega event at world famous winter sports destination – Gulmarg.
IOC names Australia as preferred bidder to host 2032 Olympic Games
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has named Brisbane, Australia as the preferred bidder to host the 2032 Olympic Games. The IOC’s future host commission recommended that the body enter “targeted dialogue” with Brisbane bid organisers and the Australian Olympic Committee.
- The state of Queensland had hosted the 2018 Commonwealth Games and Brisbane was praised for its high percentage of existing venues, a good masterplan, experience in organising major events and its favourable weather.
Cricket: Gujarat records its second successive win in Vijay Hazare Trophy, beating Goa by 8 wickets
- In Cricket, Gujarat recorded its second successive win in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, beating Goa by eight wickets in an Elite Group-A game, in Surat.
- Gujarat had started its campaign with a three-wicket win over Chhattisgarh. Opting to bat at the Lalbhai Contractor Stadium, Goa was bundled out for 159 in 45.4 overs, with Gujarat’s slow-left arm spinner Hardik Patel’s three for 34 doing the bulk of the damage. Gujarat then chased the target in4 overs with half-centuries from Priyank Panchal and Bhargav Merai.
India’s women’s contingent finishes at top in 30th Adriatic Pearl tournament in Budva, Montenegro
- In Boxing, Arundhati Choudhary in 69 kilogram category and Naorem Babyrojisana Chanu 51 kilogram category won gold medals as India’s women contingent ended the 30th Adriatic Pearl tournament in Budva, Montenegro, with five gold, three silver and two bronze medals in addition to three male boxers winning bronze
Novak Djokovic wins his 9th Australian Open title
- In Tennis, Defending Champion Novak Djokovic has won his ninth Australian Open title, beating Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-2, 6-2 in a one-sided final at Melbourne Park. Victory takes Djokovic’s grand slam singles tally to 18 – just two behind Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Australian Open: Naomi Osaka lifts Women’s title defeating Jennifer Brady
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka cemented her place as the outstanding star of the women’s singles game by beating American Jennifer Brady in the Australian Open final to win her fourth Grand Slam title. Osaka has remained unbeaten in major finals after a 6-4, 6-3 win in Melbourne.
- Osaka edged the first set when Brady, in her first Grand Slam final, paid for some glaring errors in the final game. The third seed seized control from that point, racing 4-0 ahead in the second set before sealing a deserved victory.
Elise Mertens, Aryna Sabalenka win women’s doubles title of Australian Open
- In Tennis, the Belgian and Belarus pair of Elise Mertens and Aryna Sabalenka has won the WOMEN’S doubles final of the Australian Open 2021. They defeated Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic in straight sets of 6-2, 6-3.
- Earlier, Defending champions Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury won the Australian Open Semi-finals of the Men’s doubles against Australia born Jamie Murray and Brazilain Bruno Soares by 7-6, 6-4. In the finals they will face the Croatian-Slovakian duo Ivan Dodig and Filip Polasek.
Ravichandran Ashwin becomes first bowler to dismiss left-handers 200 times in Tests
- In Cricket, off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has become the first player in the 143-year history of Test cricket to take 200 wickets against left-handed batsmen.
- He achieved the feat during the second day of India’s second Test against England at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, his home ground.
Drass Red win 13th CEC Cup Ice Hockey Championship
- In Kargil Ladakh, Drass Red has won the 13th CEC Cup Ice Hockey Championship beating Hockey Club Chiktan team in the Final match.
- The 1st Women CEC Ice Hockey Cup 2021 was lifted by Shakar Chiktan Team defeating Wakha Mulbekh Team.
- 32 Men teams and 5 Women Teams participated in the tournament which was organized by the District Youth Services & Sports.
ICC nominates Rishabh Pant and two others for Men’s Player of the Month award
- India’s wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant has been nominated for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award along with England skipper Joe Root and Ireland’s Paul Stirling.
- The International Cricket Council announced the nominees for the inaugural Player of the Month Awards which will “recognise and celebrate the best performances from both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket throughout the year”.