Defence & Security
Science & Technology
Days & Dates
Reports & Indices
The 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index
- UN Development Programme (UNDP) has released the 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index.
- India’s MPI valuereduced from283 in 2005-06 to 0.123 in 2015-16.
- India has lifted 271 million peopleout of poverty between 2006 and 2016, recording the fastest reductions in the multidimensional poverty index.
- India and Cambodiahas reduced their MPI values the fastest among the 10 selected countries for which changes over time were analysed.
Gains for India according to the report:
- deprivation in nutrition from 44.3% in 2005-06 to 21.2% in 2015-16.
- child mortality dropped from 4.5% to 2.2%.
- people deprived of cooking fuel reduced from 52.9% to 26.2%.
- deprivation in sanitation from 50.4% to 24.6%.
- people deprived of drinking water reduced from 16.6% to 6.2%.
Haryana Top State In Per Capita Revenue Collection Under GST
- Haryana has topped other states in per capita revenue collection under GSTand is also the fourth highest generator of e-way bills in the country. The Finance Minister of Haryana Capt. Abhimanyu claimed Haryana has widened the tax base by 82.22% and logged 19% hike in revenue collections.
- About 12 crore e-way bills were generated in Haryana between April 1, 2018 and June 30, 2018, catapulting the state to the position of 4th highest generator of e-way bills in the country.
- Haryana CM- Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor- Kaptan Singh Solanki
Djokovic beats Federer to win fifth Wimbledon title
- Serbian Novak Djokovicwon his fifth Wimbledon title after defeating Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer.
- This is Djokovic’s 16th Grand Slam and 5th Wimbledon title.He is now level with Bjorn Borg as a five-time Wimbledon winner.
Lewis Hamilton wins sixth British Grand Prix.
- Lewis Hamiltonmade a thrilling victory in the Silverstone circuit to win his sixth British Grand Prix, his seventh victory in ten races in 2019 and the 80th win of his career.
Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Yasar Dogu International
- India wrestler Vinesh Phogathas won her second consecutive gold in 53kg, at Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul.
- Phogat beat her Russian opponent Ekaterina Poleshchukin the final match to bag the gold medal.
Chandrayaan-2, India’s second moon mission launched
- Indian Space Research Organisation launched Chandrayaan 2 from Satish Dhawan Space Center at Sriharikota.
- It was launched by GSLV MkIII-M1 Vehicle at 14:43 hours IST. The lander-Vikram will land near South Pole of the moon on Sep 7, 2019.
- Chandrayaan-2 is India’s 2nd moon mission.
- Chandrayaan-1- launched by ISRO on October 22, 2008
- ISRO Director- K. Sivan
Odisha Rasagola gets Geographical Indications Tag
- The rasagola,a popular dessert of Odisha, has received the geographical indication tag from the Registrar of Geographical Indication.
- The GI number 612has been registered in favour of the Odisha Small Industries Corporation Limited.
- CM of Odisha- Naveen Patnaik
- Governor of Odisha- Ganeshi Lal
India signs MoUs with Benin
- India and Benin signedfour MoUs on education, health and e-visa facilities.
- The signing of the agreement on mutual exemption of visa requirement for holders of diplomatic and official passports and agreement on the fresh line of credit of 100 million US dollarsby India to finance development projects in Benin.
- President of Benin- Patrice Talon
- Capital of Benin- Porto-Novo
- Currency of Benin- West African CFA franc