India & World
Defence & Security
Chef Angad Singh Rana bags Quality NZ Culinary Cup 2020
- Cricketer Stephen Fleming announced Chef Angad Singh Rana as the winner of New Zealand’s first ‘Virtual’ Chef competition – the ‘Quality NZ Culinary Cup’ held in India. Launched in response to the Covid-19 outbreak to help keep chefs motivated and connected during a challenging time, the competition witnessed 120+ entries of which finalists were shortlisted.
- Prime Minister of New Zealand: Jacinda Ardern.
- Capital of New Zealand: Wellington.
Indian Musician & founder of Kalakruthi music organisation in Australia, Shobha Sekhar will be conferred the -Medal of the Order of Australia
- Indian Musician & founder of Kalakruthi music organisation in Australia, Shobha Sekhar will be conferred the -Medal of the Order of Australia.
- Prime Minister of Australia: Scott Morrison.
- The currency of Australia: Australian dollar.
- Capital of Australia: Canberra.
Amartya Sen to be awarded the 2020 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his work on issues around global justice
Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen has been awarded the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his decades-long work around issues of global justice. To be presented by the German Publishers and Booksellers Association, Börsenverein, the award will recognise the Indian economist’s contribution in addressing questions around social inequality in education and healthcare.
Indian writer wins regional award for Asia in Commonwealth Short Story Prize
- Every year, The Commonwealth Short Story Prize is awarded for the best unpublished short fiction.
- Commonwealth citizens aged 18 and above are eligible for it. Winners of this year were recently announced and Indian writer Kritika Pandey has won the coveted honour of the regional award for Asia in 2020 for The Great Indian Tee and Snakes.
- It talks about love in an age of hatred and prejudice.
- Pandey had been previously nominated for the Pushcart Prize. She is currently pursuing an MFA degree at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
Javed Akhtar becomes first Indian to win Richard Dawkins Award
- Writer lyricist Javed Akhtar became the first Indian to win the prestigious Richard Dawkins Award on Sunday. It is an annual award presented by the Atheist Alliance of America until July 2019 when it moved to the Center for Inquiry (CFI) to honour “a recipient who will be a distinguished individual from the worlds of science, scholarship, education or entertainment, who publicly proclaims the values of secularism and rationalism, upholding scientific truth wherever it may lead.”
- The Richard Dawkins Award is given to honour ‘a recipient who will be a distinguished individual from the worlds of science, scholarship, education or entertainment, who publicly proclaims the values of secularism and rationalism, upholding scientific truth wherever it may lead.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw wins EY World Entrepreneur of the Year 2020 Award
- Biocon Ltd announced that its Executive Chairperson Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw has been named the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year 2020 (WEOY) at a virtual award ceremony.
- She has been honoured with the title from among a distinguished list of 46 EOY country award winners from 41 countries and territories, the Bengaluru-headquartered biopharmaceuticals company said in a statement.
Renjith Kumar honoured with “NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal”
- Indian Aerospace entrepreneur, Renjith Kumar has been honoured with “NASA Distinguished Service Medal” for his administration to NASA through executive leadership, engineering contribution, technical excellence and consumer loyalty.
- He worked in relationship with NASA for over 30 years and contributed to updating the International Space Stations(ISS).
- He is CEO Emeritus of the Virginia based Analytical Mechanics Associates(AMA).
- RK Chetty Pandipati was the First Indian to win this honour in 2002.
- The administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA): Jim Bridenstine.
- Headquarters of NASA: Washington D.C., United States.