India & World
Defence & Security
Former India opener Wasim Jaffer appointed Uttarakhand head coach
Former India opener and domestic stalwart Wasim Jaffer has been appointed head coach of the Uttarakhand cricket team for the upcoming domestic season.
- Chairman of the Bahrain Paralympic Committee: Shaikh Mohammed bin Duaij Al Khalifa.
- King of Bahrain: Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa;
- Capital of Bahrain: Manama; Currency of Bahrain: Bahraini Dinar.
1987 batch IAS officer Vini Mahajan becomes Punjab’s first woman chief secretary
- Vini Mahajan, a 1987-batch IAS officer, has been appointed the new chief secretary of Punjab, replacing Karan Avtar Singh of the 1984 batch who was due to retire in August this year.
- Mahajan is set to remain in the post until her retirement in October 2024.
- Capital of Punjab: Chandigarh.
- The chief minister of Punjab Amarinder Singh.
- Governor of Punjab: V. P. Singh Badnore.
Priyanka Chopra, Anurag Kashyap named Indian ambassadors of Toronto International Film Festival 2020
- Actress Priyanka Chopra and filmmaker Anurag Kashyap are among the 50 celebrated filmmakers and actors invited as the ambassadors of a slimmed down Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) this year.
- The festival, slated to run from 10 September to 19 September 2020 , will be opting for digital screenings and virtual red carpets for the first time due to the coronavirus pandemic, making it “tailored to fit the moment.”
- Toronto International Film Festival starts:1976.
- Toronto International Film Festival Headquarters: Toronto, Canada.
Turkey’s Volkan Bozkir elected president of 75th UN General Assembly
- The UN General Assembly elected Turkish diplomat Volkan Bozkir to be its president ahead of the 75th General Debate in September.
- In a secret ballot vote Bozkir, who was unopposed for the post, received 178 ballots in support as 11 nations abstained, Anadolu Agency reported.
- Bozkir is currently serving as a Justice and Development (AK) Party lawmaker from Istanbul and head of the Turkish Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee
- United Nations General Assembly Headquarters: New York, United States.
- United Nations General Assembly Founder: United Nations.
- United Nations General Assembly Founded: 1945.
Micheál Martin becomes Irish taoiseach in historic coalition
- The Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has been elected as Ireland’s taoiseach – prime minister – after the formation of an historic coalition government.
- The three-way coalition of Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and the Green party is the first time the first two parties – former civil war rivals – have been in government together.
- Dublin is the capital of Ireland.
- Michael D Higgins is President of Ireland.
- The official currency of Ireland: Euro
Shri Vijay Khanduja has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Zimbabwe
- Vijay Khanduja, presently Director in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), has been appointed as India’s next Ambassador to Zimbabwe, the government announced .
- He is expected to take up the assignment shortly, according to a statement by MEA.
- Currencies of Zimbabwe: United States Dollar.
- Capital of Zimbabwe: Harare.
- President of Zimbabwe: Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Senate Approves Panchanathan as National Science Foundation Chief
The U.S. Senate confirmed Sethuraman Panchanathan, a senior administrator at Arizona State University, as the new director of the National Science Foundation, a leading funder of academic research.
National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950.
Nirakar Pradhan takes over as PRMIA chief
- Dr Nirakar Pradhan has appointed as new as the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) of its new India office. Pradhan has led teams at State Bank of India and Generali Group in India and Europe.
- PRMIA is a non-profit led by top professionals dedicated to promoting best practices in risk management. Its focus on training and certification has been recognised by the Government, Reserve Bank of India, State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank and HSBC, among others.
- Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) Founded: 2002.
- Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) Headquarters: Wilmington, Delaware, United States.
IIFL Finance ropes in Rohit Sharma as brand ambassador
- Non-Banking finance company, IIFL Finance has signed up cricketer Rohit Sharma as its brand ambassador.
- R Venkataraman, managing director and co-promoter, IIFL Group, said, “We are glad to announce India’s leading batsman, Rohit Sharma, as IIFL’s brand ambassador.
- Chairman & Independent Director of IIFL: S. Sridhar.
- Headquarters of IIFL: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Shambhu S Kumaran appointed India’s next envoy to Philippines
- Diplomat Shambhu S Kumaran has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Philippines.
- Kumaran is presently Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Capital of Philippines: Manila; Currency: Philippine Peso.
- President of Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte
Actor Pankaj Tripathi becomes brand ambassador of Bihar Khadi
- Bollywood actor and Gopalganj resident of Bihar Pankaj Tripathi has been made the brand ambassador of Khadi in Bihar.
- Bihar State Khadi Village Industries Board is an institution of Bihar Industries Department. It implements various schemes for the production and marketing of Khadi textiles in Bihar. Recently, the country’s largest Khadi Mall has also opened in the capital Patna.
Rahul Shrivastava appointed as next Ambassador of India to Romania
- Rahul Shrivastava, a senior diplomat has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Romania.
- Mr Shrivastava, a 1999 batch IFS officer is presently a joint secretary in the ministry.
- Capital of Romania: Bucharest.
- President of Romania: Klaus Iohannis.
- Prime Minister of Romania: Ludovic Orban
Ms. Monika Kapil Mohta has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland
Ms. Monika Kapil Mohta (IFS: 1985), presently Ambassador of India to Sweden, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.She is expected to take up the assignment shortly .
Madurai girl declared ‘Goodwill Ambassador for the Poor’
International recognition came calling the 13-year-old girl as she was appointed as ‘GoodWill Ambassador (GWA) for the Poor’ by the United Nations Association for Development and Peace.
Shri Pradip Kumar Tripathi Assumes Charge as Secretary in Ministry of Steel
Shri Pradip Kumar Tripathi, IAS (J&K:1987) has taken over as Secretary, Ministry of Steel, Govt. of India,. Prior to this, Shri Tripathihad been posted as Special Secretary and Establishment officer in Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
Union Minister of Steel: Dharmendra Pradhan.
Ex-MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar appointed India’s next Ambassador to Finland
- Raveesh Kumar served as the spokesperson of the MEA from July 2017 to April 2020 during which he deftly articulated India’s position on a number of sensitive issues including Balakot strike, reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir and NRC.
- Seasoned diplomat and former spokesperson of the External Affairs Ministry Raveesh Kumar has been appointed as India’s next Ambassador to Finland, the government.
Prime Minister of Finland: Sanna Marin; Capital: Helsinki.
Shri Sushil Kumar Singhal appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea
Shri Sushil Kumar Singhal, presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
Mr. Sibi George appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Kuwait
- Sibi George (IFS: 1993), presently Ambassador of India to Switzerland, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Kuwait.
- He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
Ms. Gaitri I. Kumar appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the United Kingdom
- Gaitri I. Kumar (IFS: 1986), presently Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and the European Union has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the United Kingdom.
- She is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
Krishnendu Majumdar is First Person of Colour to be Appointed BAFTA Chair
- Emmy-winning TV producer Krishnendu Majumdar is the first person to be named as BAFTA Chair in its 73 year-long history, the British Academy has announced. Majumdar, who succeeds Pippa Harris to the post, is also the youngest to be appointed as head in the last 35 years of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Kotak CEO Uday Kotak takes over as CII president
Kotak, managing director and CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited, takes over from Vikram Kirloskar, chairman and managing director of Kirloskar Systems Ltd and vice chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor
Brajendra Navnit is India’s new ambassador to WTO
India appointed Brajendra Navnit, a 1999 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre as India’s new ambassador to the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- World Trade Organization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Trade Organization Membership: 164 member states.
- World Trade Organization Founded: 1 January 1995.
Imtaiyazur Rahman is appointed as the CEO of UTI Mutual Fund
Two years after appointing Imtaiyazur Rahman as the acting CEO, the Board of UTI Mutual Fund has confirmed him as Chief Executive Officer of UTI Asset Management Committee
Urjit Patel appointed chairman of NIPFP, policy think tank that works closely with govts
- Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Urjit Patel was appointed as chairman of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP), a Delhi-based think tank that works closely with governments on various policy reforms.
- Rathin Roy, former member of the Prime Minister’s economic advisory council, has quit his post as director of the NIPFP.
Lawyer Javed Iqbal Wani appointed as J&K High Court Judge
- President of India on ordered the appointment of Javed Iqbal Wani as a Judge of Common High Court for the Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.Wani is the son-in-law of Kashmir High Court Bar Association president Mian Abdul Qayoom, presently lodged in Tihar Jail New Delhi.