Polity & Governance
Appointments & Resignations
Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid becomes 76th President of UN General Assembly
- Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid was overwhelmingly elected as President of the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly, garnering 143 votes out of the 191 ballots
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
- Capital: Malé
IIT Kanpur professor Mukesh Sharma appointed honorary member of WHO’s Technical Advisory Group
- Mukesh Sharma, a faculty at IIT Kanpur, has been appointed as an honorary member of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Global Air Pollution and Health – Technical Advisory Group (GAPH-TAG).
Biotech firm Mylab signs Akshay Kumar as brand ambassador
- Biotechnology company Mylab Discovery Solutions has appointed actor Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador.
- On 20 May, Mylab Discovery Solutions announced that it has received approval from ICMR for a self-use rapid antigen test for Covid-19, CoviSelf
Rebeca Grynspan appointed as UNCTAD’s Secretary-General
- Rebeca Grynspan of Costa Rica will be the new head of UNCTAD, the United Nations trade and development body.
- Grynspan, the first woman and Central American to be appointed as UNCTAD’s Secretary-General, is an economist and current Ibero-American Secretary-General.
- UNCTAD Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- UNCTAD Founded: 30 December 1964.
Naftali Bennett – Israel’s New PM
- After winning a confidence vote with the narrowest of margins, Naftali Bennett was sworn in as Israel’s new prime minister.
- Bennett is the leader of the ultranationalist Yamina (Rightwards) party, which supports Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank and previously served in Netanyahu’s Cabinet as defense minister.
- India is Israel’s largest importer of military hardware.
- India is Israel’s third-largest Asian and tenth-largest overall trading partner.
- Currency -Shekel
- Parliament of Israel-Knesset
Microsoft names CEO Satya Nadella as chairman
- Microsoft Corp named Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella as its new chairman, in place of John Thompson.
- Nadella, who took over as CEO in 2014 from Steve Ballmer, has been instrumental in scaling up its business including billion-dollar acquisitions like LinkedIn, Nuance Communications, and ZeniMax.
- Microsoft CEO: Satya Nadella;
- Microsoft Headquarters: Redmond, Washington, United States.
Justice A.K. Mishra to head NHRC
- President Ram Nath Kovind formally appointed Justice Arun Kumar Mishra as the chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- New Amendment was made in which the tenure was reduced to 3 years, the qualification was also relaxed.
About National Human Rights Commission (NHRC):
- It is a statutory body established on 12th October 1993 under the Protection of Human Rights Act (PHRA), 1993.
- The Act also provides for the creation of the State Human Rights Commission as well.
Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh Takes Charge As Deputy Chief Of Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM), and Nausena Medal (NM) holder assumed charge as the Deputy Chief of Naval Staff.
- According to the Defence Ministry, he was commissioned into the Indian Navy on July 1, 1983 and specialised in
- The Flag Officer is a qualified flying instructor with Master Green instrument rating.
Amul’s RS Sodhi elected to the board of the International Dairy Federation
- The International Dairy Federation (IDF) unanimously elected R S Sodhi, managing director, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd or GCMMF that sells Amul branded products in India, to its board during the general assembly held on 1 June.
- IDF is an international non-governmental, non-profit association and represents the global dairy sector. The federation ensures that the right policies, standards, practices, and regulations monitor the production of dairy products globally.
- DG of International Dairy Federation: Caroline Emond.
- International Dairy Federation Established: 1903.
- International Dairy Federation Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.
Ranjitsinh Disale appointed as an Advisor to the World Bank
- Ranjitsinh Disale is the first Indian teacher to receive the Global Teacher Award
- He has been appointed by the World Bank as its Advisor till December 2024.
- World Bank has recently launched the Global Coach Program
- It is a new initiative focused on accelerating learning by helping countries improve in-service teacher professional development (TPD) programs and system.
- With 189 member countries, the World Bank Group is a unique global partnership: five institutions working for sustainable solutions that reduce poverty and build shared prosperity in developing countries.