Polity & Governance
Appointments & Resignations
Indian Navy’s oldest Hydrographic Survey Ship ‘INS Sandhayak’ decommissioned
- Indian Navy’s oldest hydrographic survey ship INS Sandhayak was decommissioned at Naval Dockyard in Visakhapatnam after serving the nation for 40 glorious years.
- The ship has been an active participant in many significant operations such as Operation Pawan (assisting the Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka in 1987) and Operation Rainbow (rendering humanitarian assistance post Tsunami of 2004).
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) headed by the Defence Minister has approved a Request For Proposal (RFP) for the construction of six conventional submarines under Project-75(i).
- The six submarines under Project-75(i) will be built under the strategic partnership model.
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs 43,000 crore.
- The submarines are part of the 30-year submarine-building program approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security.
- The budgetary assistance of Rs 498.8 crore for iDEX-DIO (Innovations for Defence Excellence – Defence Innovation Organisation) for the next five years has been authorized by the Defence Minister.
- iDEX seeks to engage industries in order to foster innovation and technology development in the defense and aerospace sectors.
- It will also offer industries grants, money, and other resources to help them do R&D.
- Allow for the faster development of new, indigenous, and creative technology for the Indian defense sector and create a culture of collaboration with creative companies.
- DIO is a not-for-profit organization formed under Section 8 of the Companies Act.