Polity & Governance
Appointments & Resignations
UN land conservation award
- Shyam Sundar Jyani, an Indian climate activist, has been awarded the prestigious United Nations Land Conservation Award.
- Shyam won the award for his Familial Forestry environmental conservation proposal for which he has been campaigning for over 15 years.
- Familial Forestry means transferring the care of the tree and environment in the family so that a tree becomes a part of the family’s consciousness.
- The Land for Life Award was established at the UNCCD COP 10 in 2011 and is considered the highest prize in the field of land conservation and restoration.
- The UNCCD is the international agreement that links environmental and development issues to the land agenda and was established in 1994.