Polity & Governance
Appointments & Resignations
H10N3 Avian Influenza
- China has reported the world’s first case of a human infected with H10N3 avian influenza in Jiangsu
- Influenza A virus subtype H10N3 is a subtype of viruses that causes influenza (flu).
- It is mostly present in wild avian species.
- H10N3 is usually a less severe strain
- It is unlikely to cause a significant outbreak.
RDSO becomes first Institution to be declared SDO
- RDSO (Research Design & Standards Organization) of Indian Railways has become the FIRST Institution to be declared Standard Development Organisation (SDO) under the “One Nation One Standard” mission of BIS ( Bureau of Indian Standards)
- The aim of the scheme is to aggregate and integrating the existing capabilities and dedicated domain-specific expertise of various organizations in India which are engaged in standards development in their specific sectors.
- RDSO Headquarters location: Lucknow;
- RDSO Founded: 1921.
IIT Ropar has developed a first-of-its-kind IoT device called AmbiTag.
- AmbiTAG is India’s first indigenous temperature data logger for cold chain management.
- Moreover, the device is also particularly critical for vaccines including the Covid-19 vaccine, organs, and blood transportation.
- Purpose -The device will be helpful in the secure transportation of vaccines, blood and body organs, perishable products (food and dairy) among others.
India participated in the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) meeting
- The NAM is a forum of 120 developing world states that are not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc.
- Purpose -The NAM did not seek to formally align themselves with either the United States or the Soviet Union but sought to remain independent or neutral.
- Its role is to provide a platform for newly independent developing nations to join together to protect this autonomy.
- This time it was held virtually.
European Space Agency to Launch ‘EnVision’ Mission to Venus in 2030
- The European Space Agency (ESA) has said that EnVision would be its next mission to head to Venus as an orbiter.
- NASA would also be contributing to the EnVision mission.
- European Space Agency Headquarters: Paris, France;
- European Space Agency Founded: 30 May 1975, Europe;
- European Space Agency CEO: Johann-Dietrich Worner.
- Ekambaranathar temple (TN) has taken control of the Seetha Kingston School.
- The institution had been functioning at the site since the 1960s.
- It is significant to the Hindu sect of Saivism as one of the temples associated with the five elements, the Pancha Bhoota Stalas, and specifically the element of Earth, or Prithvi.
- A 15-meter-tall tree belonging to the genus of the coffee family has been discovered from the Andaman Islands.
- It is the first record of the genus Pyrostria in India.
- Species usually found in Madagascar and Africa
- First reported from South Andaman’s Wandoor forest.
- Also found in Tirur forest near the Jarawa Reserve Forest and the Chidia Tapu (Munda Pahar) forest.
2021 NATO Summit Held in Brussels, Belgium
- The NATO Summit was held recently in It brought together the leaders of all 30 Allied nations.
- The heads of the NATO countries said they “remain firmly committed to NATO’s founding Washington Treaty, including that an attack against one Ally shall be considered an attack against us all, as enshrined in Article 5.”
- NATO Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.
- NATO Chairman of the NATO Military Committee: Air Chief Marshal Stuart Peach.
- Member countries of NATO: 30; Founded: 4 April 1949.
IIT Ropar Develops Power-Free CPAP Device ‘Jivan Vayu’
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar has developed a device ‘Jivan Vayu’ which can be used as a substitute for a CPAP machine.
- This is the nation’s first such device that functions even without electricity and is adapted to both kinds of oxygen generation units like O2 cylinders and oxygen pipelines in hospitals.
- Saltwater or estuarine crocodile has been found dead in the Patasalariver near Silapokhari village within the Bhitarkanika National Park (BNP) in Odisha.
- Odisha is the only State in India with all crocodile species- Gharial, Mugger, and Saltwater crocodiles.
- It is considered the Earth’s largest living crocodile species.
- The estuarine crocodile is infamous globally as a known man-eater.
- Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 : Schedule I.
- IUCN List of Threatened Species: Least Concern
- Recently, the Assam government notified DehingPatkai as the 7thNational Park of the state.
- It is located within the larger Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve, which spreads across the coal- and oil-rich districts of Upper Assam(Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts).
- The oldest refinery of Asia in Digboi and ‘opencast’ coal mining at Lido are located near the sanctuary.
- The Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary is also known as the Jeypore Rainforest.
Biological E- Corbevax
- Aiming at a stiff vaccination target, the government has booked 30 crore doses of Hyderabad-based Biological-E’s Covid vaccine, which is still in clinical trials
- Corbevax is a recombinant protein subunit vaccine, it is made up of a specific part of SARS-CoV-2 the spike protein on the virus’s surface.
- The body is expected to develop an immune response against the injected spike protein.
I-Familia: Global Database to Identify Missing Persons
- Interpol has launched a new global database named “I-Familia” to identify missing persons through family DNA and help the police solve cold cases in member countries.
- There is growing international concern about the number of missing persons and unidentified victims around the world due to increased international travel, the prevalence of organized crime and human trafficking, the rise in global migration, conflicts, and natural disasters.
Asia pacific economic cooperation (APEC)
- APEC Leaders met online to discuss ways to build back the economy better from the pandemic.
- APEC is a regional economic forum established in 1989 to take maximum advantage of the growing interdependence of the Asia-Pacific, it has 21 members.
- Aim: To create greater prosperity for the region by promoting balanced, inclusive, and sustainable growth.
- India is not a member of APEC.
India elected to UN Economic & Social Council for 2022-24
- India was elected in the Asia-Pacific States category along with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, and Oman in the elections.
- India has been elected to the UN Economic & Social Council for the term 2022-24.
- The ECOSOC is at the center of the UN development system and brings together people and issues to promote collective action for a sustainable world.