Polity & Governance
Appointments & Resignations
India slips two spots to rank 117 on 17 Sustainable Development Goals adopted as 2030 agenda
- India’s rank has slipped by two places from last year to 117 on the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted as a part of the 2030 agenda by 193 United Nations member states in 2015.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- First launched in December 2018, the index has become the primary tool for monitoring progress on the SDGs in India.
- It has also fostered competition among the states and UTs by ranking them on the global goals.
- The index is developed in collaboration with the United Nations in India.
- It tracks the progress of all states and UTs on 115 indicators aligned with the National Indicator Framework (NIF) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
World Giving Index 2021 ranks India as 14th Most Charitable Country in the World
- India is now ranked as the 14th most charitable country in the world as per a report released by the World Giving Index 2021 (WGI).
- In fact, India has been recognized among the Top 20 most generous countries across the globe, and improvisation from its earlier 10-year global rank of 82.
- Topped- Indonesia
Global Peace Index 2021
- The 15th edition of the Global Peace Index (GPI) was announced by Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP)
- Iceland is the most peaceful country worldwide since 2008.
- Afghanistan is the least peaceful country again for a fourth consecutive year.
- India has moved up by two positions from its last year’s ranking. It has become 135th most peaceful country while, 5th in South Asia region.
- Bhutan and Nepal are the first and second most peaceful in this region.
Kerala retains top rank in SDG India Index 2020-21, Bihar worst performer
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index 2020-21 was recently launched by NITI Aayog.
- The SDG India Index was developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Global Green Growth Institute, and United Nations in India.
- Kerala has retained the top rank, while Bihar was ranked as the worst performer.
UNESCO Science Report
- The UNESCO Science Report highlights the need for greater investment, diversity in science.
- Every five years, USR provides an update of trends in science governance and aggregates data on spending, personnel, scientific publications, and patents.
- Although research investment has increased, the Gross domestic expenditure on R&D (GERD) has remained constant at 0.7 percent of GDP for years.
- More research is being published in India on topics connected to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Black Carbon Report by World Bank
- The report titled “Glaciers of the Himalayas: Climate Change, Black Carbon and Regional Resilience” has reported that the glaciers are melting faster than the global average ice mass.
- A strong policy on black carbon can sharply cut glacier melt.
- Black Carbon (BC) is a short-lived pollutant
- It is the second-largest contributor to cause Global warming after carbon dioxide (CO2).