India & World
Hillel Furstenberg & Gregory Margulis: Abel Prize Laureates 2020
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters named Israeli-American Hillel Furstenberg from Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel and Russian-American Gregory Margulis from Yale University, USA as winners of the Abel Prize 2020. They share the prize & the amount of Norwegian Krone (NOK) 7.5 Million (USD 8.3400).
- On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of Niels Henrik Abel’s (Norway mathematician who made pioneering contributions during a sort of fields) birth, the Abel Prize was established by the Norwegian government in 2002.
- Capital of Norway: Oslo.
- Prime Minister of Norway: Erna Solberg.
- The currency of Norway: Norwegian Krone.
NITI Aayog organizes the Fourth Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh felicitates 15 winners on International Women’s Day
- NITI Aayog organized the Fourth Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards in collaboration with United Nations and Hon’ble Raksha Mantri, Shri Rajnath Singh, presided over as the chief guest of the event and conferred the WTI Awards.
- WTI Awards are NITI Aayog’s initiative to highlight the commendable and ground-breaking endeavours of India’s women leaders and changemakers. Since 2018, the Awards have been hosted under the aegis of NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform with a special focus on entrepreneurship.
CEO of NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India) : Amitabh Kant.
Assam environmental activist Jadav Payeng named for Commonwealth Award
- Payeng, known as ‘Forest Man of India’, shot to fame by single handedly transforming a 550-hectare barren sandbar right in the middle of the Brahmaputra into a sprawling forest.
- The award is in recognition of his outstanding services to environmental conservation, it was learnt, he was also conferred with the Karmayogi Award for 2020 in New Delhi.
President Kovind confers 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind today conferred 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi’s awards on 15 artistes at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The awardees include Anoop Kumar Manzukhi Gopi from Kerala, David Malakar from West Bengal, Hari Ram Kumawat from Rajasthan, Devendra Kumar Khare from Gujarat, Dinesh Pandya from Maharashtra, Mohan Kumar from Karnataka and Yashwant Singh from Delhi.
Times of India Sports Awards (TOISA) 2019 function held in New Delhi
- World champion shuttler PV Sindhu named Sportsperson of the Year at the fourth Times of India Sports Awards (TOISA) 2019 in New Delhi.
- Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia was given the Lifetime Achievement award, while hockey legend and three-time Olympic gold medallist Balbir Singh Sr was honoured with the Icon of the Century award.
- National badminton coach Pulella Gopichand won the Mentor of the Year award, while former shooter Jaspal Rana was recognised as the Coach of the Year.
- Sindhu bagged a hat-trick of awards when she was named as the Badminton Player of the Year in female category, while B Sai Praneeth got the recognition among male shuttlers.
- India’s first world championship silver medallist pugilist Amit Phanghal won the recognition among male boxers while Lovlina Borgohain bagged the award among female boxers.