Polity & Governance
Days & Dates
Mary Kom named in IOC’s 2020 Olympics athlete ambassadors group
- Six-time world champion MC Mary Kom has been included in a 10-strong athlete ambassadors group to represent boxers in the build-up to next year’s Tokyo Olympic Games by the International Olympic Committee(IOC’s) Task Force for the sport.
- Mary Kom will represent the Asian bloc in the group, which also comprises the likes of Ukrainian legend VasylLamachenko (Europe), a two-time Olympic and world gold-medallist who now plies his trade in the professional circuit, and five-time world champion and 2016 Olympic gold-winner Julio Cesar La Cruz (Americas) among others.
Headquarters of IOC – Lausanne, Switzerland
President -Thomas Bach.
Formation -23 June 1894.
Novak Djokovic won the Paris Masters 2019 title
- Novak Djokovic won the Paris Masters 2019 title. He won the title for the fifth time.
- He defeated Canadian Denis Shapovalov. He secured 6-3, 6-4.
- India to host 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup
- India will host the 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup from January.
- According to the FIH, the Men’s Hockey World Cup will be held in India from January 13 to 29.
- In another decision made by the Executive Board, Spain and Netherlands have been named as the co-host of the 2022 women’s World Cup scheduled to be held from July 1 to 17.
- IAAF officially changes its name to “World Athletics”
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)will now be officially called as World Athletics.
- The IAAF was founded in 1912 as the International Amateur Athletic Federation, but changed its name to the International Association of Athletics Federation in 2001.
Rafael Nadal wins Davis Cup title 2019
- Rafael Nadal has clinched 6th Davis Cup title for Spain after beating Denis Shapovalov of Canada in front of a jubilant home crowd in Madrid.
- Nadal defeated Shapovalov 6-3, 7-6 (9-7) to clinch Spain’s 2-0 win against Canada.