Polity & Governance
Defence & Security
DRDO flags off first Varunastra, a heavyweight torpedo
- Satheesh Reddy, Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO flagged off the first Varunastra, the heavyweight torpedo that was delivered to the Indian Navy at a ceremony held at BDL, Visakhapatnam Unit.
- He later laid the foundation stone for setting up of state-of-the-art central stores at BDL, Visakhapatnam Unit.
Indian-American Kash Patel named Chief of Staff to Acting US Defence Secretary
- Kash Patel, currently on the National Security Council staff, has been named by Acting Secretary Chris Miller as his Chief of Staff, the Pentagon announced. Indian-American Kash Patel has been named as the Chief of Staff to the Acting US Defence Secretary Chris Miller, the Pentagon has announced.
India test-fires air-launched version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
- In a display of its growing combat prowess, the Indian Air Force successfully test-fired an air-launched version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a Sukhoi fighter aircraft in the Bay of Bengal, official sources said.
- The missile hit a sinking ship with deadly accuracy and the test-firing produced desired results, they said.
India, US, Japan, and Australia kick-start Malabar naval exercise in Bay of Bengal
- The mega exercise is taking place at a time India and China are locked in a nearly six-month-long bitter border standoff in eastern Ladakh.
- The navies of India, the US, Japan, and Australia held a series of complex manoeuvres in the Bay of Bengal, kick-starting the four-day-long first phase of the Malabar naval exercise, seen as a prelude to future military cooperation among the member nations of the Quad or Quadrilateral Coalition.
Indian Navy’s fifth Scorpene-class submarine Vagir launched
- The fifth Scorpene conventional submarine, Vagir, being built by the Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) with technology transfer from France was launched into water .
- The first two submarines of Project-75 have been commissioned into the Navy and the third and fourth ones are in various stages of sea trials
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.
Phase 2 of the Malabar 2020 exercise concludes in the Arabian sea
- The navies of India, the US, Australia and Japan concluded the second phase of the Malabar naval exercise in the Arabian Sea that involved two aircraft carriers and many frontline warships, submarines and maritime aircraft.
- The major highlight of the four-day, second-phase exercise was participation of the Indian Navy’s Vikramaditya carrier battle group and the Nimitz strike group of the US Navy
- The mega exercise took place at a time when India and China are locked in an over 6-month-long border standoff in eastern Ladakh
Indian Naval Ship Airavat reaches Port Sudan as part of ‘Mission Sagar-II’
- Indian Naval Ship, Airavat reached Port Sudan as a part of Mission Sagar-II. The Indian government is assisting Friendly Foreign Countries to overcome natural calamities and COVID-19 pandemic, and towards the same INS Airavat is carrying a consignment of 100 Tonnes of food aid for the people of Sudan.
- Mission Sagar-II, follows the first ‘Mission Sagar’ undertaken in May-June 2020, wherein India provided food and medicines to Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
- As part of Mission Sagar-II, INS Airavat will deliver food aid to Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea.
Gen. Naravane conferred the honorary rank of General of Nepali Army by President Bhandari
Indian Army chief General M. M. Naravane was conferred the honorary rank of General of the Nepali Army by President Bidya Devi Bhandari at a special ceremony here, a decades-old tradition that reflects the strong ties between the two militaries.
- Prime minister of Nepal: KP Sharma Oli; President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
- Capital of Nepal: Kathmandu; Currency: Nepalese rupee.
DRDO test-fires enhanced version of PINAKA Rocket System
- The enhanced version of the rocket tested is expected to replace the existing Pinaka-Mk-1 rockets which are under production currently.
- To achieve a range in excess of 45 km, the enhanced PINAKA rocket, which has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), was successfully tested (Nov 4, 2020).
- DRDO Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy.
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi.
Triservice exercise ‘Bull Strike’ conducted at the Nicobar Islands
- The operation location was very close to the Strait of Malacca
- The armed forces conducted a joint tri-service exercise ‘Bull Strike’ at the Teressa Island in the Nicobar group of islands located close to the strategic Strait of Malacca.
- The exercise was conducted by the Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) from November 3 to 5 involving the three Services components of ANC, elements of the Army’s Parachute Brigade, Navy commandos MARCOS and Special Forces, the Army said.
- Chief of Defence Staff of India: General Bipin Rawat.
- Commander-in-Chief of Indian Armed Forces: Ram Nath Kovind (President of India).