Polity & Governance
Defence & Security
Amit Panghal, Ashish Kumar win gold in France meet
- World silver-medallist Amit Panghal (52kg) and Sanjeet (91kg) struck gold in their first competition after a coronavirus-forced break, claiming the top honours at the Alexis Vastine International Boxing Tournament in Nantes, France.
- In the 75kg category, Asian silver-winner Ashish Kumar also claimed a gold after his opponent, American Joseph Gerome Hiks, gave him a walkover due to injury. However, Asian silver-medallist Kavinder Singh Bisht (57kg) settled for a silver medal after going down to local favourite Samuel Kistohurry in a split 2-1 verdict.
West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels retires from all forms of cricket
- West Indian batsman Marlon Samuels, who top-scored in both of the team’s T20 World Cup final wins during a career that also had its share of controversies including a two-year ban for corruption, has retired from all forms of cricket.
Mumbai Indians win 5th IPL trophy, defeat Delhi Capitals by 5 wickets in final
- Mumbai Indians defeated Delhi Capitals in the final of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 to lift their fifth IPL trophy.
- Mumbai Indians, who have played arguably the most attractive and effective brand of cricket in IPL 2020, defeated Delhi Capitals by 5 wickets to seal their fifth IPL trophy in what has been a sensational campaign for the four-time, now five-time IPL winners.
China’s Chen Meng claims ITTF Women’s World Cup title
- World number one Chen Meng beat Chinese compatriot Sun Yingsha 11-13 11-6 11-9 11-6 11-8 to win her maiden ITTF Women’s World Cup title in Weihai as international table tennis returned from an eight-month hiatus due to COVID-19.
- Chen Meng’s victory at the bio-secure Weihai Nanhai Olympic Center made her the first winner of the ITTF #RESTART series and also took her tally of senior singles titles to 19.
Turkish GP: Lewis Hamilton Wins 7th F1 World Title, Equals Michael Schumacher’s Record
- Lewis Hamilton secured a record-equalling seventh Formula One world title after winning the Turkish Grand Prix and then warned pretenders to his crown “I’m only just getting started!” After a momentous drive from sixth on the grid, the Briton matched Michael Schumacher’s haul of drivers’ crowns with three races of the season remaining.
- Lewis Hamilton equalled Michael Schumacher’s haul of most F1 world titles (7) with a win in Turkish GP .
Sudeep Tyagi retires from all forms of cricket
- Right-arm medium-fast bowler, Sudeep Tyagi, who featured for India in four ODIs and a lone T20I, has announced retirement from all forms of the game.
- The Uttar Pradesh pacer, who featured for India in four ODIs and a lone T20I, has thanked MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina among others in his retirement statement.