India & World
Defence & Security
Days & Dates
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2019
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2019 was awarded jointly to William G. Kaelin Jr, Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe and Gregg L. Semenza “for their discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability.”
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine is awarded by the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019 was awarded “for contributions to our understanding of the evolution of the universe and Earth’s place in the cosmos” with one half to James Peebles “for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology”, the other half jointly to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz “for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star.”
- “Spirit Of Kerala” wins People’s Choice Award
- Short film from Kerala“Spirit of Kerala” has won the People’s Choice Award at the recently concluded My Rode Reel film competition.
- The film won the honour beating 1,680 entries. The short film is based on a boat race and directed by Arun Joseph.
- My Rode Reel film competition is touted as the ‘world’s largest short film competition’.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 was awarded jointly to John B. Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino, “for the development of lithium-ion batteries.”
- The Nobel Peace Prize for 2019
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize 2019 to Abiy Ahmed Ali “for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and in particular for his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighbouring Eritrea.”
- He will receive a full cash prize, valued this year at 9-million kronor ($918,000), a gold medal and a diploma.
- The Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 and 2019
- The Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 & 2019 announced at The Swedish Academy in Stockholm.
- The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2018 is awarded to the Polish author Olga Tokarczuk. She has been awarded “for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life.”
- The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2019 is awarded to the Austrian author Peter Handke. He has been awarded “for an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience.”
- Ashleigh Barty wins ‘The Don’ Award
- Ashleigh Barty has been awarded Australian sport’s highest individual honour. Barty won “The Don” Award and has joined legends like Cathy Freeman and Ian Thorpe in lifting the prestigious prize.
- Barty was the first Australian to win the French Open in 46 years and is now aiming to become the first Australian woman to end the season with the No.1 ranking since Margaret Court in 1973.
- The Nobel Prize in Economics 2019
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2019 was awarded jointly to Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo and Michael Kremer “for their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty.”
- Chandi Prasad Bhatt to get Indira Gandhi award for national integration
- The 31st Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the years 2017 and 2018 awarded to the pioneer of the Chipko Movement Chandi Prasad Bhatt on October 31, (the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi) for his services in promoting and preserving the national integration.
- Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo jointly win Booker Prize
- Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo have jointly won the 2019 Booker Prize after judges flout the rules by declaring a tie.
- The Booker rules say the prize must not be divided, but the judges insisted they could not separate Atwood’s – ‘The Testament’ and ‘Girl, Woman, Other’ by Evaristo, who is the first black woman to win the prestigious award since its creation in 1969.
- British Indian novelist Salman Rushdie’s tragicomic ‘Quichotte’ was among the six books shortlisted for the prize.
- India wins four UNESCO heritage awards
- The UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation awards were announced at a ceremony held in Penang, Malaysia. 4 heritage landmarks from India were chosen for the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2019.
- Renewal of Tai Kwun Centre for Heritage and Arts in Hong Kong received the Award of Excellence, which is the highest award among all categories.
|Heritage landmark||Award category||Place|
|Flora Fountain||Honourable mention||Mumbai|
|KenesethEliyahoo Synagogue||Award of Merit||Mumbai|
|Our Lady of Glory Church||Award of Merit||Mumbai|
|Vikram Sarabhai Library from (IIM)||Award of Distinction||Ahmedabad|
UNESCO President- Audrey Azoulay
Founded- 16 November 1945
Headquarters- Paris, France
- Lionel Messi wins 3rd straight Golden Shoe as top scorer in European Leagues
- Barcelona captain Leo Messi received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues.
- Messi won the trophy for a 3rd straight year after scoring 36 goals, 3 more than his closest challenger, Kylian Mbappe of Paris Saint-Germain.
- Messi now has two more Golden Shoes than his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo. The award was created in 1967 when it was won by Eusebio.