India & World
Defence & Security
Days & Dates
Tips to solve Para-jumbles:
What are Para-Jumbles?
- Paragraph jumbles or as they are fondly called Para-Jumble refers to a paragraph wherein the sentences forming it are jumbled. We are required to arrange the sentences in a proper manner such that they link and form a coherent paragraph.
Guidelines to solve-
- Read the sentences and try to understand the message of the paragraph.
- Look for the sentence that clearly introduces a person, place, concept or committee and try to identify the opening sentence, this will most likely be the opening sentence.
- Identify the topic and theme. eg. Topic – Inflation (general); Theme –Congress responsible for Inflation (Specific).
- If the sentences are too lengthy do not waste much time and try to be vigilant in spotting ‘special words like connectives, articles, adjectives and pronouns.
- Look for crucial clues or linking words, mandatory pairs, introductory statement or Conclusion statement as discussed earlier.
- Mandatory pair is a set of statements which seem to come one after the other. Whenever you sense a mandatory pair, just look at the choices. If only one choice has the pair, that might be the answer.
- Whenever two sentences come one after the other, there is usually a word which links them. Observe these links then may be able to arrive at a mandatory pair easily.
- Take the help of the options to solve the question.
Some indicators words-
- Introduction – A, An, Nowadays, Beginning.
- Conclusion – Clearly, Thus, Therefore, Eventually, Finally.
- Comparison Indicators – Similarly, Likewise.
- Contrast Indicators – On the one hand, But, Yet, However, Nevertheless, Although.
- Additional Information Indicators – Also, Additionally.
- Sequence Indicators – Firstly, Secondly, Thirdly, Lastly.
- Cause and Effect – Due to, as, since.