India & World
FAO’s 75th anniversary: PM Narendra Modi releases commemorative coin
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin of ₹75 denomination to mark the long-standing relation of India with Food and Agriculture Organisation(FAO).
- The coin was released on the occasion of the 75th Anniversary of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
- The Prime Minister also dedicated to the nation 17 recently developed biofortified varieties of eight crops on World Food Day.
- PM Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin of ₹75 to mark the 75th anniversary of the Food and Agriculture Organization
- PM Modi said the government is committed towards procurement of agri crops at minimum support price (MSP) and termed it as an important part of the country’s food security.
- Food and Agriculture Organisation Headquarters: Rome, Italy.
- Food and Agriculture Organisation Head: Qu Dongyu.
- Food and Agriculture Organisation Founded: 16 October 1945.
PM For A Day: Teenager Fills Finland’s Top Job
- Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin faced a quieter day than usual after handing power to a 16-year-old as part of a campaign to promote girls’ rights.
- Aava Murto, from Vaasky in southern Finland, said she was having an “exciting day” as she faced the media on the steps of parliament after meeting with the chancellor of justice.
- The Prime Minister of Finland is Sanna Marin, Capital city is Helsinki and Currency is Euro respectively.
Chetan Anand named brand ambassador for Indian brand ‘Transform’
- Meghalaya to partner with Israel in establishing Centre of Excellence for high value vegetables
- Israeli technology which is renowned the world over for helping turn its arid land green for cultivation could soon be in use in Meghalaya with Chief minister Conrad K Sangma announcing that the state is going ahead for a partnership with the Jewish state for the establishment of a one of a kind Centre of Excellence to promote high value vegetables.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma.
- Meghalaya Governor: Satya Pal Malik.
- Meghalaya Capital: Shillong.
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem
- Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Israel Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Amazon India Launches Train Ticket Booking Service in Partnership With IRCTC
- Amazon India has partnered with Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) to let passengers book train tickets.
- As of now, the booking feature is only available on Amazon’s mobile website and the app for Android.
- Amazon boasts of several helpful features to make the booking process convenient for customers, including one-click payment, no additional service charges, and cashback offers, according to its press release. As an introductory offer, first-time customers can avail of cashback of up to Rs. 120 on their bookings.
- Amazon Founder: Jeff Bezos.
- Amazon Founded: 5 July 1994.
- Amazon Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States.
India, Myanmar Agree To Target Operationalisation of Strategic Sittwe Port in Q1 2021
Indian army chief General M.M. Naravane and foreign secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla called on State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and Myanmar’s Commander in Chief of Defence Services Senior General Min Aung Hlaing.
- The currency of Myanmar: Burmese kyat.
- President of Myanmar: Win Myint.
12th BRICS Summit to be held virtually on November 17
- The 12th BRICS Summit will be held on 17th November 2020 via video conference. The theme of the Meeting of the Leaders of BRICS countries which includes Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- The Summit this year is being held under the Chairmanship of Russia and aims at a multifaceted cooperation between the member countries.
- The five-member countries have continued close strategic partnership on all the three major pillars of peace and security, economy and finance, cultural and people-to-people exchange
- The five-member BRICS states are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
One of the world’s spiciest chillies — Sikkim’s Dalle Khursani — to get GI tag
- Dalle Khursani, the famous red hot cherry pepper of Sikkim, is set to get a geographical indication (GI) tag from the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- The GI tag is a name or a sign given to a certain product that has a specific geographical location or origin.
- An application filed by the Guwahati-based North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (Neramac) for the GI tag of Sikkim’s Dalle Khursani has been accepted by the DPIIT.
- Chief Minister of Sikkim: PS Golay.
- Governor of Sikkim: Ganga Prasad.
Puducherry airport becomes AAI’s first 100% solar-powered airport
- The Puducherry airport has become the first airport of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) which is entirely solar-powered.
- The 500KWp ground-mounted solar power plant was commissioned on 2nd October 2020. The approx cost of the plant is Rs 2.8 crore.
- By becoming absolutely power-neutral, the Puducherry airport will be able to meet its entire power requirement through the solar power plant.
- Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry (UT): Dr Kiran Bedi.
- Chief Minister of Puducherry: V. Narayanasamy.
Stellapps launches ‘mooPay’ for dairy farmers in Rajasthan
- Stellapps has recently announced the launch of a first-of-its-kind, fully-automated direct payment platform — ‘mooPay’ — for dairy farmers in Rajasthan.
- mooPay acts as a payment gateway for dairies to make payments to every registered farmer, removing the risks and costs of transferring money to many farmers in hundreds of villages.
- It enables dairy officials to transfer milk payments digitally to member farmers from the dairies’ existing bank account to farmers’ savings bank account.
- Stellapps is an end-to-end dairy technology solutions company.
- The IIT-Madras incubated dairy-tech startup and World Economic Forum’s technology pioneer, Stellapps, launched mooPay in Bhilwara district of Rajasthan on October 15.
- Stellapps CEO: Ranjith Mukundan
- Stellapps headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
Asan Conservation Reserve becomes Uttarakhand’s first Ramsar site
- Asan Conservation Reserve has become Uttarakhand’s first Ramsar site, making it a ‘Wetland of International Importance’, announced the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- The Reserve is located on the banks of Yamuna river near Dehradun district in Garhwal region of the Himalayan state.
- “Ramsar declares Asan Conservation Reserve as a site of international importance. With this, the number of Ramsar sites in India goes up to 38, the highest in South Asia and Uttarakhand gets its first Ramsar site,” tweeted the environment ministry.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat.
- Governor of Uttarakhand: Baby Rani Maurya.
- Rivers: Ganga River, Yamuna River, Saryu River, Bhagirathi River, Gaula River, Kali River.
- Folk Dance of Uttarakhand: Jhora, Chholiya.