Which state in large states category has topped the School Education Quality Index (SEQI) released by NITI Aayog?
• NITI Aayog Releases First Edition of School Education Quality Index (SEQI)
• The report, titled 'The Success of Our Schools-School Education Quality Index' (SEQI) and jointly released by the Niti Aayog, Ministry of Human Resource Development and the World Bank, alongside sectoral experts, is based on indexing of states and Union Territories on the learning outcomes for school-going children.
• SEQI, which used 2016-17 as the reference year and 2015-16 as the base year, was developed to evaluate the performance of states and Union Territories (UTs) in the school education sector.
• The index, prepared on the basis of 30 indicators, was divided into two broad categories -- outcomes that consisted of learning, access, infrastructure & facilities, and equity outcomes; and governance processes aiding outcomes.
NITI Aayog released School Education Quality Index today for 2019
Best performing Big states
Worst performing Big state - Uttar Pradesh
Best performing Small states
Worst performing Small state - Arunachal Pradesh
Best performing UT - Chandigarh
Worst performing UT - Lakshadweep
As per the First National Nutrition Survey released recently, around what percent of children in the age group of 5 to 9 years and adolescents in the age group 10 to 19 years are pre – diabetic?
• National Nutrition Survey
• The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare organized first National Nutrition Survey. The ministry took help from UNICEF to complete the survey.
• The survey was conducted between 2016 and 2018. In India, for the first time the ministry measured malnutrition that included micro nutrient deficiencies.
• It was done by collecting urine samples and blood samples. Apart from this, details of non – communicable diseases like hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, kidney function in children were also collected during the survey.
• The survey covered more than 1,20,000 children and adolescents in rural and urban area.
• It aims to assess the following : Micro nutrient deficiencies Sub clinical inflammation Worm infestation. Overweight or obesity Cardio – metabolic risks CDSA – Clinical Development Services Agency was selected as the monitoring agency
Key findings of the survey
• Around 10% of children in the age group of 5 to 9 years and adolescents in the age group 10 to 19 years are pre – diabetic.
• 5% of them were overweight and 5% suffered from blood pressure.
• The survey for the first time proved the coexistence of obesity and under nutrition.
• One in five children in the age group 5 to 9 years were stunted.
• FTamil Nadu and Goa had the highest number of adolescents who were obese or overweight.
Global Nutrition Report, 2018 :
• The Global Nutrition Report 2018, prepared by WHO, states that India is home to 46.6 million stunted children out of 150.8 million stunted children all over the world.
Which railway station has topped the Indian Railways Station Cleanliness Survey 2019?
• Jaipur Railway Station Tops Indian Railways’ Station Cleanliness Survey 2019
• The Ministry of Railway led by Piyush Goyal has released the 2019 Station Cleanliness Survey that ranks the cleanest railway stations in India. The survey was conducted by the third-party entity Quality Council of India.
• Jaipur railway station of Rajasthan has topped the “Swachh Rail, Swachh Bharat” 2019 survey followed by Jodhpur and Durgapura among 720 railway stations surveyed.
• Among the 109 suburban station, Maharashtra’s Andheri station has topped the list.
• North Western Railway zone has has topped in cleanest railway zone category.
S&P Global Ratings has reduced India’s growth projection for 2019-20 at what percent?
• S&P slashes India growth forecast for FY20 to 6.3%
• S&P Global Ratings on Tuesday reduced India’s growth projection for 2019-20 from 7.1% to 6.3%, but said it expected a “decent, albeit unspectacular" recovery in 2020-21 to 7%.
What is the new Repo Rate fixed by RBI in its 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy?
• RBI reduces repo rate by 25 basis points in 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy
• In its 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Committee meeting, the Reserve Bank of India has reduced the policy repo rate by 25 basis points (bps). The MPC has also decided to maintain the accommodative stance of monetary policy.
The main decisions taken in the 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Committee meeting are:
• The repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) was reduced from 5.40% to 5.15%.
• The reverse repo rate under the LAF stands revised to 4.90%.
• The marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate is revised to 5.40%.
• RBI has also reduced the real GDP growth for 2019-20 from 6.9% to 6.1%.
Under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, which state has topped the list of having maximum cancer patients claming for treatment?
• PMJAY, first year: 90,000 cancer claims, Tamil Nadu tops list
• In its first year, the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), the tertiary care arm of Ayushman Bharat, has funded the treatment of 90,000 cancer patients through 1.8 lakh hospital admissions.
• This is according to data available with the Union Health Ministry, which also show that every year there are 11.57 lakh new cancer patients in India and 7.84 lakh cancer deaths. At any given point, there are 22.5 lakh Indians living with cancer.
• Tamil Nadu, with 40,056 cases, tops the state where the most cancer patients availed treatment under PMJAY, followed by Kerala (22,000), Madhya Pradesh (19,455), Chhattisgarh (15,997) and Gujarat (14,380).
The unemployment rate in United States has fallen to what percent as per the US Labor Department reports?
• US unemployment falls to a 50-year low
• The US Labor Department reports that the unemployment rate fell to 3.5% from 3.7%. The main reason behind the development is that the economy added 136,000 jobs in September 2019.
• On the other hand, the report claims that the manufacturing jobs fell in September 2019 following the slowdown in-service industry growth. Professionals claim that 15-month US – China trade war has eroded business confidence.
• The central bank of US cut rates in July 2019 for the first time since 2019
• Why American Economy is a matter to the world?
• US is one of the biggest economies in the world. The slowdown in US economy will slow down other economies across the world.
As per the new report by UNDP India, top 100 firms in the country spent what percent of their total expenditure on CSR activities on women’s economic empowerment?
• Top 100 firms spent only 4% of CSR funds on women's economic empowerment, says UNDP report.
• Top 100 firms in the country spent a mere 4% of their total expenditure on corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities on women’s economic empowerment, according to a new report by United Nations Development Programme India prepared.
• It shows that the top 100 companies reported a total expenditure of Rs 423.84 crore on women’s empowerment and ₹250.62 crore on their economic empowerment out of the total ₹6,314.30 crore spent on CSR activities in financial year 2017-2018. The average median per company was Rs 1.97 crore.
What is the rank of India in Global Hunger Index?
• India Ranks 102 Out of 117 Countries in Global Hunger Index.
• India has been classified as a country with ‘serious’ levels of hunger according to the 2019 Global Hunger Index.
• India has been ranked 102 out of 117 countries in terms of severity of hunger. The country with the severest problem of hunger at rank 117 is the Central African Republic.
• With a score of 30.3, India suffers from a level of hunger that is serious,"
• India fell from 55 in 2014 to 102 in 2019 in the GHI. However, the number of countries has differed from year to year. India ranked 55 out of 76 nations in 2014, 100 out of 119 countries in 2017, and 103 out of 119 countries in 2018. This year's report calculated the index from a sample of 117 nations and India came on 102.
• Pakistan is at 94, Bangladesh 88 and Nepal 73 in this year's GHI report that the authors say is designed to comprehensively measure and track hunger at the global, regional, and national levels.