Which state has topped the list of 'Digital States of India 2019’?
Digital States of India ranking: Chhattisgarh tops, Haryana at third spot
• Chhattisgarh has topped the digital states of India ranking as per a research report, which ranked Maharashtra, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh among the top five states.
• The report by Coeus Age, titled 'Digital States of India 2019 - A Comparative Analysis' is an outcome of an assessment of the 37 states and Union Territories of the country on two broad constructs - Policy and Infrastructure Readiness (PIR) and Mission Mode Projects (MMPs) Performance. The assessment uses 128 parameters across PIR and MMPs. 15 state-specific MMPs were considered for the study
• The report in 2019 is the second in series, the first one released in October 2017. Madhya Pradesh topped the list in 2017 but is at rank 5 in 2019. Chhattisgarh has moved 3 ranks up, from 4in 2017 to 1 in 2019.
Which state has recently launched an e-Cop app for women's safety?
Madhya Pradesh Police launch e-cop app for women's safety
• The Madhya Pradesh police have launched 'MP e-Cop', a mobile app to facilitate girls to get immediate back-up just by the push of a button.
• The MP e-cop app has been introduced amid national debates over women's safety triggered by a spate of crimes against women all over the country .
• "There is SOS (an international code signal for extreme distress) facility in the app, which would trigger the SMS to Dial 100 and phone numbers fed in the app by the girls/women," Bhopal's DIG Irshad Wali said.
• As soon as the girl in distress pushes the button, the app will send an alert to Dial 100 and also SMSs on the five numbers fed by her in the app, he added.
• The police will find the location of the person in distress after it receives the alert.
Supreme Court has decided to examine the constitutional validity of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act. Which part of the constitution deal with citizenship in India?
SC refuses to stay operation of Citizenship Amendment Act
• The Supreme Court has decided to examine the constitutional validity of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, CAA.
However, the Court refused to stay its operation as sought by some lawyers appearing for petitioners.
Hearing a batch of pleas challenging the CAA, the top court yesterday issued a notice to the Centre and sought its response by the second week of January next year.
The bench also agreed to the submission of a lawyer that common people should be made aware of the aim, objects and the contents of the CAA.
• Part II of the Constitution of India (Articles 5-11) deals with the Citizenship of India.
• Article 5 speaks about the citizenship of India at the commencement of the Constitution (Nov 26, 1949). Article 11 gave powers to the Parliament of India to regulate the right of citizenship by law. This provision resulted in the enactment of Citizenship Act 1955 by the Indian Parliament.
The Union government has launched National Broadband Mission to provide Broadband access to all villages by which year?
• Union government launches National Broadband Mission
• The Union government has launched National Broadband Mission to provide Broadband access to all villages by 2022.
• The mission aims to connect 600,000 villages across India with an investment of Rs 7 lakh crore in the next 4 years from both government and private sector. The mission is a part of the National Digital Communications Policy, 2018. The mission will secure universal broadband access for implementation of broadband initiatives and aims to offer Internet speed upto 50 Mbps in a phased manner.
• The mission will facilitate universal and equitable access to broadband services across the country, especially in rural and remote areas. It also involves laying of incremental 30 lakh route km of optical fibre cable and increasing tower density from 0.42 to 1 tower per thousand population by 2024.
• According to the government, 10% of the funds will come from Universal Service Obligation (USO) Fund and the remaining will come from industry in the form of towers and other assets.
Government e-commerce portal GeM has launched which national outreach programme called to bring on-board more local sellers?
GEM Samvaad: GEM launches National Outreach Programme
Government e-commerce portal GeM has launched a national outreach programme called ‘GeM Samvaad’, to bring on-board more local sellers. The outreach programme will take place from 19 Dec 2019 to 17 Feb 2020 and will cover all States and Union Territories (UTs) of the country. It was launched by Commerce Secretary Anup Wadhawan in New Delhi.
• GeM Samvaad outreach programme will involve local sellers and stakeholders across the country to facilitate on-boarding of local sellers on marketplace while catering to specific requirements as well as procurement needs of buyers. Through GeM Samvaad marketplace is also looking forward to receive feedback from users which would be used for making improvements and advancements in system.
Which flagship scheme of the Central Government has been extended by two years?
• Mission on urban renewal extended by 2 yrs to 2022
• Unable to meet set targets for urban renewal in 500 cities, the Centre has decided to extend the mission period of its flagship initiative Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) by two more years.
Launched on June 25, 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, AMRUT completes its mission period in March 2020.
• The government’s flagship initiative promises 139 lakh water connections by March 2020, 145 lakh sewer connections, storm water drainage projects, parks and and green spaces and LED streetlights with a total outlay of Rs 77,640 crore (including central assistance of Rs 35,990).
The Ministry has launched Regulation of vintage motor vehicles order, 2019 under which the registration plates of the vehicles will bear letters ___________?
GoI to regulate Vintage Vehicles with new policy
• The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a draft notification on December 15, 2019, to regulate the registration of old vintage vehicles. The ministry has planned to provide a special number plate with letters VA to signify the vintage vehicles.
• The Ministry has launched Regulation of vintage motor vehicles order, 2019 in order to implement the plan. The registration plates of the vehicles will bear letters “XXVAYY”, where VA stands for Vintage, XX stands for state code and YY stands for numbers between 1 and 9. It also envisages that a one-time fee of Rs 20,000 has to deposited by the owners with the state transport authorities. The deposition is valid for 10 years after which the owners have to renew their ownership. The policy is first of its kind.
• The aim of implementing the policy is to avoid harassments from enforcement agencies. It will also help to identify and regulate vintage vehicles by providing scrappage exemption to them. The aim of the draft rules is to preserve vintage vehicles owing to their historic, technical, cultural and aesthetic significance.
The Inner Line Permit (ILP) regime has been extended by President Ram Nath Kovind in which state?
• Inner Line Permit regime extended to Manipur, Prez Kovind signs order
• The Inner Line Permit (ILP) regime has been extended to Manipur. President Ram Nath Kovind signed an order in this regard.
The move comes two days after Home Minister Amit Shah said that Manipur will be brought under the inner line permit regime.
Manipur is the fourth state after Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram where the ILP regime has been made applicable.
To visit the ILP-regime states, outsiders, including people from other states of the country, need to take permission.
According to the seventh edition of the India Skills Report 2020, which state has the highest employable talent in the country?
• Maha has most employable talent, followed by TN, UP: Study
• Maharashtra topped the list of states with the highest employable talent, followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh while Mumbai, Hyderabad and Pune stood out as the most employable cities, a survey showed.
• Maharashtra moved up from 9th position and Tamil Nadu was up from 10th position of last year as they improved their ranking this year to emerge as the most employable states.
• The states that registered a dip in their ranking were West Bengal (2nd last year) and Haryana which could not make it to the top 10, according to the seventh edition of the India Skills Report 2020 which will be released on Tuesday
Lok Sabha has passed the Constitution (126th Amendment) Bill, 2019, which proposes the reservation of seats for the Scheduled Castes and Tribes for another_______ years?
Lok Sabha passes bill extending SC/ST quota in State legislatures
• Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed the Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Sixth Amendment) Bill, 2019, which continues the reservation of seats for the Scheduled Castes and Tribes for another 10 years, upto January 25, 2030.
• The Bill was passed with 352 members in favour and none against. The reservation for SCs, STs and Anglo-Indians given for the past 70 years in Lok Sabha and State Assemblies was due to end on January 25, 2020.
• The reservation for Anglo-Indians in the form of “nomination” is set to expire on January 25 next year as the Bill does not extend the facility to the community. The Minister in his reply said doors are not shut and the matter would be considered.
The provisions of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 are not applicable to tribal areas of which state?
Citizenship Amendment Bill:
• The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2019, that seeks to give Indian nationality to non-Muslim refugees from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan passed the lower House test yesterday.
• The Bill seeks to amend the definition of illegal immigrant for Hindu, Sikh, Parsi, Buddhist and Christian immigrants from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, who have lived in India without documentation. They will be granted fast-track Indian citizenship in six years.
• So far, 12 years of residence has been the standard eligibility requirement for naturalisation.
• CAB won't apply to areas under the sixth schedule of the Constitution – which deals with autonomous tribal-dominated regions in Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram. The bill will also not apply to states that have the inner-line permit regime (Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram).