Government of India and the World Bank has signed a USD 210 million loan agreement Agri business and Rural Transformation Project of which state?
Government of India and the World Bank sign USD 210 million loan agreement for State of Maharashtra’s Agribusiness and Rural Transformation Project.
• The Government of India, the Government of Maharashtra and the World Bank today signed a loan agreement ofUSD 210 million to support small holder farmers participate in competitive agriculture value chains, facilitate agri-business investments, increase market access and productivity in focus commodities, and build resilience of crops to recurrent floods or droughts in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
• The USD 210 million Maharashtra Agribusiness and Rural Transformation Project, will help build capacity of the nodal departments and institutions.
Which country will host the next World Economic Forum Regional Summit?
Saudi Arabia To Host Next World Economic Forum Regional Summit In Riyadh
• Saudi Arabia will host the next Middle East summit of the World Economic Forum, the first time the Kingdom has staged the prestigious meeting of world leaders, it was announced in Davos on Thursday.
• Borge Brende, the WEF president, told delegates: “The next Middle East summit will be held in Saudi Arabia on the 5 and 6 of April this year.”
• The theme of the meeting will be the place of the region in the fourth industrial revolution, according to a posting on the official WEF website.
• Middle East WEF’s in the past have been staged in Egypt, Jordan and some have been held in the UAE.
The Ganga-Volga Dialogue was held, between India and which country, in New Delhi?
India, Russia launch Track 1.5 dialogue to push greater Eurasian partnership
• The maiden Ganga Volga Dialogue (Track 1.5) held in Delhi on 22 January was conceptualized during the October 2018 India-Russia Summit between President Putin and Prime Minister Modi.
The dialogue prioritized people-to-people contact. According to Russia, the dialogue acted as a good platform for its policy of “Greater Eurasia”.
• The Dialogue was held on the following theme Theme: Connectivity
• The Dialogue also focused on Digital Connectivity, culture, tourism, healthcare, manufacturing technology, economy, entrepreneurship, etc. The aim of the dialogue is very similar to the International North-South Transport Corridor.
Currently India has Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties, MLAT with how many countries?
Govt issues revised norms for mutual legal assistance in criminal matters with other nations
• The Centre has issued revised guidelines for mutual legal assistance in criminal matters with other nations as part of the government's policy of zero tolerance for crime and its endeavour to fast track the dispensation of justice.
India has Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties, MLAT with 42 countries and is signatory to various International Conventions for cooperation in criminal matters. Home Ministry is the designated central authority for the country.
Under the MLAT, a country can request for obtaining evidence for criminal investigations and prosecutions. The evidence includes witness statements or the service of documents among others.
Which country has recently been declared as ‘Reciprocating Territory’ by India?
UAE declared ‘Reciprocating Territory’ by India
• Indian expatriates if convicted in a civil case in the UAE would no longer be able to seek safe heaven back in India as the Ministry of Law and and Justice, Government of India during the second week of January 2020 issued an Extraordinary Gazette Notification, which declared the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to be a “reciprocating territory” under Section 44A of the Civil Procedure Code, 1908.
• The notification also declared a list of courts in the UAE to be ‘Superior Courts’ under the same section of CPC.
• Besides UAE, the other countries which were declared as reciprocating territories include the United Kingdom, Singapore, Bangladesh, Malaysia, and New Zealand among others
India has opened its first Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in which West African country?
India opens its first Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in West African nation Niger at capital Niamey
• External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and President of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou on Tuesday jointly inaugurated the first convention centre established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
It is the first centre to be established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi whose 150th Birth Anniversary was observed last year.
• The convention centre has been designed as a spacious, modern and eco-friendly facility, including a 2,000 capacity Plenary Hall, to witness high-level and wide-ranging participation from African Union member states and other high-level conventions.
Mr. Jaishankar, the first Indian Foreign Minister to visit the West African country, arrived in Niamey on Monday on the first leg of his three-day two-nation trip to Niger and Tunisia. The tour is his first outreach to the African continent after becoming Foreign Minister last year.
50th World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting will be held in which city?
Piyush Goyal to lead Indian Delegation to World Economic Forum 2020
• The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways, Piyush Goyal, will lead the Indian delegation to the 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting at Davos from January 20 to 24, 2020.
• The theme of the 2020 meeting is “Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World“.
• Every year, WEF meeting is held to engage the world’s top leaders to shape global, regional and industry agendas at the beginning of the year.
Which country was the largest source of FDI in India during the first half of FY 2020, as per the data released by the government?
FDI inflows to India rose 15% to $26 billion between April and September
• Foreign direct investment into India grew 15% to $26 billion during the first half of the current financial year, according to government data.
• Inflow of foreign direct investment (FDI) during April-September of 2018-19 stood at $22.66 billion.
• Sectors, which attracted maximum foreign inflows during April-September 2019-20, include services ($4.45 billion), computer software and hardware ($ 4 billion), telecommunications ($4.28 billion), automobile ($2.13 billion) and trading ($2.14 billion), the commerce and industry ministry dta showed.
• Singapore continued to be the largest source of FDI in India during the first half of the financial year with $8 billion investments. It was followed by Mauritius ($6.36 billion), the US ($2.15 billion), the Netherlands ($2.32 billion), and Japan ($1.78 billion)
The entire government of which country has resigned recently after its President announced some constitutional amendments?
Russia shakeup: Putin may remain in power even after 2024
• The entire Russian government is resigning, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced Wednesday, after Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping reforms that could extend his decades-long grip on power beyond the end of his presidency.
• President Vladimir Putin engineered a surprise shakeup of Russia’s leadership Wednesday, proposing changes to the constitution that could keep him in power well past the end of his term in 2024.
• Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev resigned his post after Putin announced the proposed constitutional amendments. Putin kept his longtime ally in the Kremlin’s leadership structure, appointing him to the newly created post of deputy head of the presidential Security Council.
• Putin's proposed constitutional reforms, announced in a state of the nation address, indicated he was working to carve out a new governing position for himself after his term ends, although the suggested changes don't immediately indicate what specific path he will take to stay in charge.
Which country has decided to make yoga education compulsory for school children?
Nepal to make yoga education compulsory for school children
• The Nepal government has decided to make yoga education compulsory for school children to promote healthy lifestyle among students.The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology has completed designing courses on yoga for Grades IX, X, XI and XII.
• Through integrated approach certain topics about yoga will be included as part of the compulsory subjects such as English and Nepali.
• However the students can make choice between yoga, Ayurveda and natural medicine as optional subject at the school level.The courses will have credits similar to other subjects.
• These courses will be implemented from the upcoming academic session at schools.
• The subject will be taught under three-year diploma programme under the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training.
Sahyog-Kaijin’ is an annual Joint Exercise of the Coast Guard of India and which country?
Japan Coast Guard Ship ‘Echigo’ arrives in Chennai
• The Japan Coast Guard Ship ‘Echigo’ has arrived Chennai on Monday on a five-day goodwill visit. It will be participating in the Annual Joint Exercise ‘Sahyog-Kaijin’ with the Indian Coast Guard off Chennai on coming Thursday.
This is the 19th such exercise being conducted between the two Coast Guards since 2000. It is being witnessed by Admiral Takahiro Okushima, Commandant, Japan Coast Guard and the Director-General of Indian Coast Guard Krishnaswamy Natarajan.
Four Indian Coast Guard ships, their aircraft and a vessel from the Chennai-based National Institute of Ocean Technology - NIOT are participating in the exercise along with the Japanese vessel.
It is aimed at further strengthening bilateral ties and mutual understanding between the two Coast Guards. It is set to enhance interoperability in communication and Search and Rescue procedures and sharing of best practices.
The World Future Energy Summit was held in which city recently?
World Future Energy Summit begins in Abu Dhabi
• The World Future Energy Summit will begin on Monday in Abu Dhabi, 33,500 participants from 170 countries and 800 specialist exhibitors are expected to attend the four-day annual event.
• The theme for this year's summit is "Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment." World Future Energy Summit is the Middle East’s largest future energy and sustainability event.
• Held annually at Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, the 2020 edition includes exhibition and forum programmes across five main pillars: energy, solar, water, waste and smart cities, hosting an unrivalled gathering of top-level government and business leaders.
The Australian government could declare which species as an "endangered" species ?
Bushfire crisis: Australia may list koalas as 'endangered' species
The Australian government on Monday said it could declare koalas as an "endangered" species after their population suffered "extraordinary hit" in the bushfire crisis, which destroyed 30 percent of their habitat across the country.
Since September last year, the raging Australian bushfires, one of the worst in its history, has killed at least 26 people, burned over 10 million hectares of land, destroyed over 2,000 homes and pushed many species towards extinction.
Over 1.25 billion animals are believed to be dead in the wake of bushfires and experts believe that hundreds of billions of insects may have been wiped out, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reported.
Taal Volcano which is in news recently is located in which country?
Philippines warns of 'explosive eruption' after Taal Volcano spews ash near Manila
• Philippine authorities have urged a "total evacuation" of nearly half a million people near the capital Manila, after a volcano spewed ash up to nine miles (14 kilometers) into the air Sunday prompting warnings of a possible "explosive eruption."
• The Taal Volcano, about 37 miles (60 kilometers) south of the capital Manila on the island of Luzon, is one of the country's most active. Images from the scene on Monday showed streams of lava beginning to gush out the volcanic vent, the sky above still thick and dark with ash and steam.
• The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) has raised the alert level to four, meaning an "explosive eruption" could happen in the coming hours or days. Its highest alert level is five, indicating an eruption is taking place.
Which country has officially announced to drop the nickname ‘Holland’ from January 2020?
The Netherlands scrapping its name nickname ‘Holland’ from January 2020
• As a part of €200,000 tourism rebranding, the Netherlands has officially announced to drop the nickname ‘Holland’ from January 2020.
• Even the Netherlands’ Board of Tourism and Conventions is also scrapping its symbol featuring a tulip, the national flower, and the word “Holland” and replacing it with a new logo that has an orange tulip and the initials “NL.”
• Key Points:
• i.Reason: ‘Holland’ refers to just two of the 12 provinces in the Netherlands. Those are North Holland, where Amsterdam is located, and South Holland consisting of Rotterdam and The Hague. But the name ‘Holland’ often used to describe the whole nation.
• ii.The govt of Netherlands has instructed the companies, embassies, ministries, and universities to refer the country as its official title ‘the Netherlands’.